The authors thank Allen R. Thomas, MD, and Ifat Shah, MD, for expert assistance in digital formatting of the radiographs and histology, respectively.
1. Davies D. Aspergilloma
and residual tuberculous cavities–the results of a resurvey (a report from the Research Committee of the British Thoracic and Tuberculosis Association). Tubercle. 1970; 51:227–45.
2. Schwarz J, Baum GL, Straub M. Cavitary histoplasmosis complicated by fungus ball
. Am J Med. 1961; 31:692–700.
3. Israel HL, Ostrow A. Sarcoidosis and aspergilloma
. Am J Med. 1969; 47:243–50.
4. Sarosi GA, Silberfarb PM, Saliba NA, et al. Aspergillomas occurring in blastomycotic cavities. Am Rev Respir Dis. 1971; 104:581–4.
5. Glimp RA, Bayer AS. Pulmonary aspergilloma
: diagnostic and therapeutic consideration. Arch Intern Med. 1983; 143:303–8.
6. Klein DL. Gamsu G. Thoracic manifestations of aspergillosis. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1980; 134:543–52.
7. Bristowe JS. A vegetable fungus growing in a cavity of a lung. Transactions of the Pathological Society of London. 1854; 5:38–41.
8. Hargis JL, Bone RC, Stewart J, et al. Intracavitary amphotericin B in the treatment of symptomatic aspergillomas. Am J Med. 1980; 68:389–94.
9. Smith RL, Morelli MJ, Aranda CP. Pulmonary aspergilloma
diagnosed by fiberoptic bronchoscopy. Chest. 1987; 92:948–9.
10. Verea-Hernando H, Martin-Egana M, Dominguez-Juncal L, et al. Bronchoscopic aspect of pulmonary aspergilloma
. Chest. 1989; 3:708–9.
11. Rohatgi PK, Chasse RT. Endoscopic visualization of aspergilloma
. Respiration. 1991; 58:112–4.
12. Henderson AH, Pearson JEG. Treatment of bronchopulmonary aspergillosis with observations on the use of natamycin. Thorax. 1968; 23:519–23.
13. Ramirez RJ. Pulmonary aspergilloma
. Endobronchial treatment. N Engl J Med. 1964; 271:1281–5.
14. Mattox KL, Guinn GA. Emergency resection for massive hemoptysis. Ann Thorac Surg. 1974; 17:377–83.
15. Varkey B, Rose HD. Pulmonary aspergilloma
: a rational approach to treatment. Am J Med. 1976; 61:626–31.