SHORT COMMUNICATIONImpact of cilazapril on fibrinolytic system in hypertensive patientsHosgor, Izzeta; Ahmad, SarfrazbAuthor Information aDepartment of Internal Medicine, Cerrapasa Medical School, Istanbul University, Istanbul, Turkey bFlorida Hospital Medical Center, Orlando, Florida, USA Received 23 February, 2007 Revised 1 June, 2007 Accepted 8 August, 2007 Correspondence to Izzet Hosgor, MD, PhD, Atakoy 7–8 Kisim, Baris Siteri I1a/1, 34750 Bakirkoy, Istanbul, Turkey Tel: +90 212 661 1580; fax: +90 212 560 3773; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Blood Coagulation & Fibrinolysis: January 2008 - Volume 19 - Issue 1 - p 101-105 doi: 10.1097/MBC.0b013e3282f21fc9 Buy Metrics Abstract Impaired fibrinolysis is associated with thromboembolic complications in hypertensive patients. Cardiovascular morbidity/mortality rates have been reported high even after lowering the elevated blood pressure with antihypertensive drugs. We investigated the effects of clinically used dosages of cilazapril on the fibrinolytic system in hypertensive patients. The present study was performed among 30 hypertensive patients (22 women, eight men), who received 2.5–5.0 mg cilazapril daily for 1 month. Before and after the cilazapril treatment, patients' venous blood was drawn for fibrinolytic tests. The fibrinolytic activity was examined utilizing the euglobulin clot lysis time and fibrin plate methods. Using the fibrin plate method, as compared with the pretreatment group, we observed a 57% increased activity in the hypertensive patients receiving cilazapril (P < 0.001). When assessed by the euglobulin clot lysis time method, the activity due to cilazapril treatment was found to be relatively low, although highly significant (∼20%, P < 0.001). Changes in fibrinolytic activity were observed in 23 (77%) hypertensive patients after cilazapril treatment; however, their blood pressure remained normal. The remaining seven patients' (23%) blood pressures and fibrinolytic activity did not change significantly after cilazapril treatment. In conclusion, we suggest that the observed differential fibrinolytic activity between the pre and post cilazapril treatment values is due to the plasminogen activators released from the vascular endothelium, which may have been stimulated by cilazapril. It appears that cilazapril is not only an angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitor but also a stimulator for fibrinolytic activity, which may be an added component in reducing thromboembolic complications in hypertensive patients. © 2008 Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Inc.