The aim of this study was to investigate the relationship between the length of surgery and the incidence of pressure ulcers (PrUs) in cardiovascular surgical patients.
A retrospective analysis was performed among consecutive patients with cardiac surgery in 2012. Propensity score matching was used to control differences in the baseline characteristics between with and without surgery-related pressure ulcer (SRPU) groups.
A total of 286 patients with cardiac surgery were included in the study: 47 patients developed 57 SRPUs, with incidence of 16.4% (95% confidence interval, 12.3%–21.2%); 97.9% of SRPUs were Stage I, and the other 2.1% were Stage II. After propensity score matching, statistically significant difference of the length of surgery between the 2 groups was found (195 minutes [30–330 minutes] vs 240 minutes [125–675 minutes], P = .003). However, the length of cardiopulmonary bypass was found to be not statistically significantly different between the 2 groups (37 minutes [15–144 minutes] vs 44 minutes [16–107 minutes], P = .830). The curve fitting showed the SRPU incidence increased gradually with the extension of length of surgery.
The authors’ retrospective analysis showed the length of surgery was an important risk factor for PrUs in cardiovascular surgical patients, but not the length of cardiopulmonary bypass. The incidence of SRPUs increased gradually with the extension of length of surgery.