Communication from Jean-Francois Pittet, MD, DEAA,
Editor-in-Chief of Anesthesia & Analgesia
It is my great pleasure to announce the nomination of Paloma Toledo, MD, MPH, Assistant Professor in the Department of Anesthesiology, Northwestern University in Chicago IL, as the inaugural Executive Editor for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) of Anesthesia & Analgesia, the flagship journal of the International Anesthesia Research Society starting April 1, 2022.
Dr. Toledo is well qualified to serve the journal in this new role given her expertise as a member of the Anesthesia & Analgesia editorial board since 2014, as a healthcare disparities researcher, and her previous leadership experience in anesthesiology. Dr. Toledo has had formal training in health services research (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality-funded T32 and F32 awards) and has had several NIH and foundation grants related to healthcare disparities, including funding from the National Institutes of Minority Health and Health Disparities. Dr. Toledo has served as the representative from the American Society of Anesthesiology to the American Medical Association Commission to End Healthcare Disparities, as well as the American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologist's Council on Patient Safety in Women's Health Care. In particular, she was the lead author oof the American Society of Anesthesiology's Reducing Maternal Peripartum Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Anesthesia Care Statement. She is also a leader in the state of Illinois and is one of the three clinical leads helping implement the disparities bundle for the State of Illinois through the Illinois Perinatal Quality Collaborative. Given her collective research and leadership in the pursuit of diversity and equity, she was awarded the Society for Obstetric Anesthesia and Perinatology's Inaugural Diversity and Inclusivity Award in 2021. Finally, she has experience leading teams and is a past chair of the Foundation for Anesthesia Education in Research Board of Directors.
In her new role as the DEI Executive Editor of Anesthesia & Analgesia, Dr. Toledo will:
(1) Develop a culture of awareness and commitment among the editors and reviewers of our Journal to promote DEI in various activities of the Journal.
(2) Position our Journal to highlight the leadership role of anesthesiologists working towards an achievement of health equity.
(3) Bring together and promote various viewpoints on perioperative disparities to make our Journal a home for research publications in this area.
(4) Create transparency of existing disparities and the promotion of equitable care, as well as publications of advancement in these areas.
(5) Provide education for all consumers of our Journal in the areas of diversity and equity.
Please all welcome Dr. Toledo in this new and important editorial position of Anesthesia & Analgesia.