Institutional members access full text with Ovid®

Share this article on:

Sudden Death Resulting from Chicken Bone Perforation of the Esophagus

Russo Scott S. M.D.; Taff, Mark L. M.D.; Ratanaproeksa, Opas M.D.; Spitz, Werner U. M.D.
The American Journal of Forensic Medicine and Pathology: September 1986
Residents' Corner: PDF Only

Sudden death caused by foreign-body perforation of the esophagus is distinctly uncommon. We report the death of an elderly patient in a nursing home who exsanguinated after she swallowed a chicken bone that perforated her esophagus and right common carotid artery.

From the Wayne County Medical Examiner's Office, Detroit, Michigan.

Resident in Orthopedics, St. Mary's Hospital, Grand Rapids, Michigan (S.S.R.); Instructor in Pathology, Wayne State University School of Medicine (M.L.T.); Clinical Assistant Professor of Pathology, Wayne State University School of Medicine (O.R.); Professor of Pathology, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, Michigan (W.U.S.).

Dr. Taff's present address: Nassau County Medical Examiner's Office, East Meadow, New York.

Address correspondence and reprint requests to Dr. Mark L. Taff, Nassau County Medical Examiner's Office, Hempstead Turnpike and Franklin Avenue, P.O. Box 160, East Meadow, NY 11554, U.S.A.

© Lippincott-Raven Publishers.