Secondary Logo

Journal Logo

Institutional members access full text with Ovid®

Cheng C L; Lau, S; Hui, P W PhD; Chow, S P; Pun, W K; Ng, J; Leong, J C Y
American Journal of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation: October 1989
Original Articles: PDF Only
Buy

A longitudinal study of the ambulation progress was done on 102 patients in the first 9 wk after an operation for repair of hip fractures. The time taken to achieve a stable walking pattern from frame to a cane was recorded for every patient. Results showed that 82.2% of the patients were able to walk with a cane at 4 wk postoperatively. Of the remaining 17.8% of the patients, 7.7% were able to walk with a cane at 6 wk whereas 10.1% were not able to walk with a cane at 6 wk. Several factors including the age, sex, mental state, the type of operation and the preoperative ambulation level of the patients were studied to predict the ambulation progress of the patients. The most important factors affecting the ambulation progress were the age and the preoperative ambulation level of the patient. Because of the general trend in the aging of the population, an increase in the number of hip fractures is expected. The result of this study may help in predicting the prognosis and provide guidance for restoring the function of the patients.

© Williams & Wilkins 1989. All Rights Reserved.