AMERICAN JOURNAL OF NURSING
BOOK OF THE YEAR AWARDS PROGRAM
The AJN Book of the Year awards is a prestigious competiton that garners the attention of its readers (nurses in clinical settings, faculty, and researchers) as well as librarians in hospitals and universities. Increasingly, books about health or health care that are authored by non-nurses are also submitted for consideration. Many readers, faculty, and libraries make book-purchasing decisions based upon this award program.
We've invited experts to serve as judges in 20 categories. They will review all submissions for their categories, select up to three winners, and write a published review of these titles.
First place winners will receive an award and certificate, and references to the award may be used in promotional materials by publishers. The list of winners willa ppaer in AJN's Janaury 2024 issue. Last year's winners can be found here.
The judges only consider books and electronic products published between August 1, 2022, and August 1, 2023. Books published outside of that time frame are ineligible.
- Adult Primary Care
- Advanced Practice Nursing
- Child Health
- Community and Home Health Care
- Consumer Health
- Creative Works for a General Audience
- Critical Care/Emergency Nursing
- Digital Products
- Gerontological Nursing
- Health Care Administration
- History and Public Policy
- Maternal-Child/Neonatal Nursing
- Medical-Surgical Nursing
- Nursing Education/Nursing Professional Development
- Nursing Research
- Palliative Care/Hospice
- Professional Issues
- Psychiatric/Mental Health Nursing
- Public and Population Health
Instructions for Authors/Publishers:
- To request an application for submission and payment instructions, contact Wilma James ([email protected]).
- Email the completed application and list of entries to [email protected]. The list of entries can be in a Word document or Excel spreadsheet and should include the following information:
- Title as it should appear in the publication.
- Authors/editors names as they should appear in the publication.
- Publication date of the book/electronic product.
- Category/categories the book/electronic product is being submitted under.
- Primary contact person and contact information (email and phone number) to whom all questions should be directed.
- Once we receive your application with the list of entries, we will email the primary contact the judge's name and address so that you can send the titles. When sending the books to the judge, please include a cover letter that includes the list of books for consideration under AJN's Book of the Year Award. For electronic/online submissions, email the product or a link to access the product, and list of entries, to [email protected].
Entrants pay $60 per submission, or, if submitting five or more entries, $40 per submission.
If submitting a book or electronic product to more than one category, entrants must pay a submission fee for each category. Send checks or money orders only to:
Attention: Wilma James
Wolters Kluwer Health
American Journal of Nursing
28 Liberty Street, 44th Floor
New York, New York 10005
*Please address the envelope exactly how you see the address above.
Applications will be accepted until close of business on Friday, August 1, 2023. All books must be sent to the judges with a postmark of no later than Friday, August 15, 2023.
Please contact Wilma James for additional questions: [email protected] .