Call for Manuscripts
AJN publishes original research, quality improvement (QI), and review articles as CE and feature articles. We also publish shorter, focused columns. Submissions must be evidence based and are peer reviewed.
Clinical features should cover epidemiology, pathology, current research, “what’s new” in knowledge and/or treatment, and nursing implications. Feature articles are usually 5,000 to 8,000 words.
We currently seek articles on these clinical topics:
• Issues in pediatric care
• Best practice in anticoagulant therapy
• Acute/critical care updates (new guidelines, research)
• Infectious disease and public health
• Women’s health issues, such as polycystic ovary syndrome, gynecologic cancers
• Dermatologic diseases and complications
• Parenteral and enteral feeding updates
• Cardiac disease: novel and emerging approaches (advances in electrophysiology, TAVR, MitraClip)
• Bariatric surgery (pre-, peri-, and postop care, home care, long-term outcomes)
• ERAS: enhanced recovery after surgery
• Bedside surgical procedures (tracheostomy, PEG tube insertion)
• Registered nurse first assistant (RNFA) role
• Assessment and prevention of sleep disturbances in acute care setting/ambulatory settings
• Research on outcomes of nurse residency programs
• Care of forensic patients on acute care units
• Continuous venovenous hemofiltration/hemodialysis and other renal therapies
• Best practice in caring for suicidal patients on medical–surgical units
• Nursing’s evolving role in patient safety
• Workplace violence (assessment, prevention of violence against nurses)
• Update on compact licensure
• Marijuana (medicinal and recreational use of marijuana, CBD: the nurse’s role)
• Nursing home issues (staffing, infection control, best practices)
• CPR update (automated chest compression devices)
• Financial facts for nurses
• Patient-centered care (family presence at codes, patients on quality committee)
• Vascular access devices (CLABSI reduction approaches, ultrasound-guided vascular access)
• Treatment of insomnia
Columns are shorter, focused papers of 2,000 to 3,000 words. Our columns include Emerging Infections, Disaster Care, Environments and Health, Correspondence from Abroad (international topics/visits), In the Community, Policy and Politics, Professional Development, A Question of Practice (revisiting nursing care).
Cultivating Quality is the section for QI reports. Authors should follow the Standards for Quality Improvement Reporting Excellence (SQUIRE) guidelines as detailed in our author guidelines.
In addition, we welcome opinion pieces (Viewpoint); narratives (Reflections); and poetry and visual art related to nursing, health, and the human experience (Art of Nursing).
We strongly encourage query letters; e-mail your queries to [email protected].
We encourage all prospective authors to review AJN articles at www.ajnonline.com prior to submitting. For author guidelines and submission information: www.editorialmanager.com/ajn.
AJN reaches more nurses than any other nursing journal through our robust digital, print, and social media channels.