AJN's Web site, www.ajnonline.com, offers access to current and past issues (from 1900), podcasts, article collections, news alerts—and much more. Bookmark our blog, Off the Charts (http://ajnoffthecharts.com), to read daily updates and share your thoughts on what you see in your nursing world. And join us on Facebook (www.facebook.com/AJNfans) and follow us on Twitter (http://twitter.com/AmJNurs).
WHAT WE'RE BLOGGING ABOUT
- How do our patients touch us? Read "The Dance of Empathy" for a thoughtful new post by nurse and clinical liaison support manager of infusion Peggy McDaniel (http://wp.me/prthD-2qz).
- Learn how U.S. Air Force nurse Maj. Kari A. Miller won a bronze star while serving with her team in Afghanistan: "Air Force Trauma Nurse: Teacher, Winner of Bronze Star," by AJN senior editor Jacob Molyneux (http://wp.me/prthD-2ld).
- Check out "CMS Proposing New Hospital Regulations—How Will the Changes Affect Your Delivery of Care?" by Jeannie Miller, deputy director of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services' Clinical Standards Group, for some important ways these proposed changes could affect nurses and their scope of practice (http://wp.me/prthD-2pB).
- How many of your patients have you asked about domestic violence this month? Read "Domestic Violence Screening Matters," by AJN's clinical managing editor, Karen Roush (http://wp.me/prthD-2no).
WHAT READERS ARE SAYING ON FACEBOOK AND OUR BLOG
"Protecting management from idiocy is not my job, but protecting my patients from it is." "What do I say, as a nurse to a patient, that I might not think a procedure ordered by a doctor is necessary, and the complications arising from that procedure may outweigh the benefit of such?" "A few years ago I was in the hospital for a procedure and the nurse asked me if I was safe at home. [T]hankfully I have never experienced domestic violence in my marriage… I was so grateful that a question like that is asked."
© 2011 Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Inc.
- Monthly highlights: Listen to AJN editors discuss the contents of the December issue.
- Behind the article: Editor-in-chief Shawn Kennedy speaks with Joan Margaret Humphries, author of this month's Viewpoint.