LEARNING OBJECTIVES: After reading this article and taking this test, you should be able to
- list two skills that caregivers need and one approach to increasing caregiver knowledge and skills.
1. According to the authors, changes in the severity of symptoms or the appearance of new symptoms as the disease progresses can heighten the caregiver's
a. awareness of the need for assistance.
c. perception of loss of control.
d. skill in adapting to care needs.
2. According to the authors, what should nurses and social workers do when treatment plans change or the patient nears the end of life?
a. assist with obtaining additional Medicare or Medicaid benefits
b. inform the patient's primary insurance carrier
c. provide emotional support for the patient
d. reassess caregivers' capabilities
3. Which of these is a psychological skill that a caregiver must provide?
a. catheter care
b. decision making
c. changing a dressing
d. offering emotional support
4. Plans of care should be based on
a. assessment of recipient need and caregiver capacity.
b. the financial resources of the caregiver.
c. psychosocial support from family and friends.
d. the resources available within 10 miles of the home.
5. Which of these is a focus of cognitive behavioral management approaches used with caregivers?
a. "hands-on" care skills
b. meal preparation skills
c. problem-solving skills
d. networking skills
6. In addition to providing information to caregivers, health professionals need to help family members
a. acquire skills while keeping in mind cultural and ethnic differences.
b. navigate within the confusing Medicare medication reimbursement plans.
c. acquire updated data on care techniques specific to the patient's disease process.
d. work with other family members and friends to increase support for the care plan.
7. According to population projections for the United States, by the year 2030,
a. the minority population will triple.
b. half of the older adult population will be white.
c. the minority population will include fewer Asians and Pacific Islanders.
d. three fourths of older adults will belong to a minority racial or ethnic group.
TEST CODE: AJNC3 CERP: B FEE: $21.95