LEARNING OBJECTIVES: After reading this article and taking this test, you should be able to
- give examples and consequences of the use of technological assistance for older adults and their caregivers.
1. Which of the following is a function of a "smart" home with sensors?
a. provide intelligent ambulatory walkers for those with vision and mobility impairment
b. provide prompts to administer medications
c. provide a respirometer
d. provide Web-camera conferences
2. How might a robotic assistant provide support to an older adult?
a. improve orientation by playing recordings of the date and time
b. make software available for cognitive improvement exercises
c. provide assistance with feeding
d. send an alert to a monitoring party if a problem such as wandering is detected
3. Most United States telemonitoring programs are for
a. homebound older adults, veterans, or rural residents.
b. parents with disabled children.
c. inner-city families that cannot afford in-person health care visits.
d. patients requiring mental health services.
4. Reviews of Web sites have concluded that the health information they provide is
a. at a reading level lower than 8th grade.
b. frequently unavailable in Spanish.
c. generally inaccurate.
d. reasonably complete.
5. Which of the following was identified in a 2007 systematic review as an efficacious Internet-based intervention?
a. acute injury treatment
b. mental health referral
c. social service assistance
d. treatment follow-up
6. According to a Cochrane review, what was one of the outcomes of using picture phones?
a. decreased satisfaction with physician care
b. increased cost at in-person follow-up visits
c. fewer ED visits
d. increased hospitalizations among elderly people
7. What is one of the ethical concerns related to the use of technology?
a. the accuracy of the information provided
b. some people are unable to use technologic devices and services
c. less-personalized care
d. the privacy of personal health data
8. According to the article, which statement is accurate?
a. Research shows that nurses can make about 8 times as many telecare visits with older patients per day as they can in-home visits.
b. More than half of the 7,000 Medicare-certified home health agencies regularly use telecare.
c. The main reason the costs of remote technology services are reimbursed is improvement in patient satisfaction.
d. Metaanalyses reveal that nurses must acquire different communication and information-giving skills to deliver technology-based care.
TEST CODE: AJNC8 CERP: B FEE: $17.95