LEARNING OBJECTIVES: After reading this article and taking this test, you should be able to
- explain the importance of communicating about care preferences to improve the well-being of caregivers and care recipients.
1. According to the author, what is one of the most difficult challenges families face when a family member requires care?
a. deciding whether to have the family member move into the caregiver's home
b. making decisions about end-of-life care for the family member
c. deciding whether to place the family member in an institutionalized setting, such as a nursing home
d. making decisions for the family member if she or he has impaired judgment and planning capacity
2. When a relative moves into a long-term care facility, what effect may this have on the caregiver?
a. most are concerned about the effect the move will have on their children
b. most remain vulnerable to stress, sometimes for many years
c. most are relieved that they no longer have complete responsibility for their relative
d. most feel a significant decrease in the pain associated with seeing a relative decline
3. Research suggests that persons with mild to moderate cognitive impairment function at what level?
a. being able to make informed care decisions
b. being unable to communicate preferences
c. being able to perform only simple activities of daily living
d. being unable to state consistent choices
4. According to McCullough and colleagues (1993), older, cognitively intact adults are most concerned with
a. the care received.
b. their physical and social environments.
c. safety and security issues.
d. their psychological well-being.
5. The goals of Early Diagnosis Dyadic Intervention (EDDI) include all of the following except teaching care partners
a. about dementia.
b. what to expect if the illness changes.
c. techniques for alleviating strain associated with the illness.
d. how to use the Internet to identify resources.
6. Which program promotes awareness and understanding of the symptoms of dementia and structured exploration and discussion of care preferences and needs?
a. Acquiring New Skills While Enhancing Remaining Strengths
b. patient–family caregiver–practitioner care triad
c. Early Diagnosis Dyadic Intervention
d. Resources for Enhancing Alzheimer's Caregiver Health
TEST CODE: AJNC10 CERP: B FEE: $12.95