LEARNING OBJECTIVES: After reading this article and taking this test, you should be able to
- discuss the need for informal caregivers and describe one method to support them.
1. Auerbach and colleagues (2007) predict an overall shortfall of how many registered nurses by 2020?
2. According to Stone (2000), 67% of noninstitutionalized older adults with disabilities receive assistance solely from friends and family, primarily from
a. adult siblings.
b. close friends.
c. husbands or sons.
d. wives or daughters.
3. Which of the following is cited by the author as one reason that the supply of friend and family caregivers is shrinking?
a. Birth rates have increased, leaving less time for parents to care for older family members.
b. Families are financially unable to care for disabled family members.
c. Geographic distance between family members is growing.
d. Adult children's primary obligation is to their own spouses and children.
4. Poorly planned hospital discharge is associated with adverse events, can precipitate readmissions, and affects approximately how many patients?
a. 1 in 4
b. 1 in 5
c. 1 in 6
d. 1 in 7
5. In 2006 AARP estimated the value of the care provided by informal adult caregivers to persons in the home to be about
a. $50 billion per year.
b. $175 billion per year.
c. $250 billion per year.
d. $350 billion per year.
6. What type of care system could provide a model for formally incorporating family caregivers into a home care plan?
b. advanced practice nurse care coordination
c. home health aide assistance
d. social worker home visits
TEST CODE: AJNC11 CERP: B FEE: $17.95