Continuing Medical Education Questions: June 2022
Article Title: Green Tea Extract to Prevent Colorectal Adenomas, Results of a Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Clinical Trial
Identify the effects of green tea extract as a prophylactic agent against colorectal adenomas.
A 55-year-old man undergoes an average risk screening colonoscopy, at which time a 6 mm tubular adenoma is removed. He asks about ways he can reduce his risk of future adenomas.
Based on the findings in this study, what do you advise him regarding green tea extract's effects on subsequent adenomas?
- A. That green tea extract showed no significant effect on the adenoma rate in either men or women
- B. That green tea extract significantly lowered the adenoma rate in men, but not in women
- C. That green tea extract significantly lowered the adenoma rate in women, but not in men
- D. That green tea extract significantly lowered the adenoma rate in the overall study population
A 46-year-old woman with hypertension and recurrent urinary tract infection is being evaluated for generalized abdominal discomfort. She denies any prescription medications, and her only over-the-counter medication is a standardized green tea extract (GTE). She asks you about the side effects of GTE. Based on the adverse event data reported in this study, which of the following statements is correct?
- A. GTE was associated with a similar rate of abdominal discomfort compared with placebo
- B. GTE was associated with increased infection risk compared with placebo
- C. GTE was associated with increased hypertension compared with placebo
- D. GTE was associated with increased overall adverse events compared with placebo
As part of their data analysis, the authors explored the relationship between green tea extract (GTE) and polyp location and histology on a follow-up colonoscopy. Which of the following statements is correct regarding their findings?
© 2022 by The American College of Gastroenterology
- A. Advanced adenomas occurred at a lower rate in the GTE group.
- B. Advanced adenomas occurred at a higher rate in the GTE group.
- C. Left sided adenomas occurred at a lower rate in the GTE group.
- D. Polyp location was not affected by the use of GTE.