DEPARTMENTS: ACSM Newsbriefs
SUBMIT YOUR 2014 PROPOSAL FOR ACSM’S HEALTH & FITNESS SUMMIT & EXPOSITION
Interested in proposing a lecture, workout, or other education session for ACSM’s Health & Fitness Summit & Exposition in 2014? The submission process is easy — simply visit www.acsmsummit.org and access the link to the online proposal system through OASIS™. You can go in and add, change, or update your submission electronically anytime through the deadline of June 10, 2013, midnight PST. The 2014 meeting will take place from April 1 to 5, 2014, in Atlanta, GA.
ACSM’s HEALTH & FITNESS JOURNAL® iPad APP NOW AVAILABLE
ACSM and publisher Lippincott Williams & Wilkins are pleased to announce that ACSM’s Health & Fitness Journal® now has an iPad app available for free download from the App Store!
ACSM’s Health & Fitness Journal® for the iPad delivers the full contents of each issue, enhanced with the convenience of iPad functionality. With this app, your ACSM’s Health & Fitness Journal® subscription goes wherever you go!
This app optimizes the best in digital technology to enhance a printlike reading experience with article-sharing options, convenient navigation features, and more.
- Easy-to-read, full-text articles that you can share via email
- Ability to store or delete downloaded issues
- Resize text and images with “pinch and zoom”
- Speedy issue-browsing capability
- Quick scrolling through abstract summaries
- Notification when a new issue is available
- Link to www.acsm-healthfitness.com to view supplemental content, browse the archives, and more
Download the app to your iPad today and send your feedback to HFJournal@acsm.org. Please note that the app is currently only available for the iPad, but publisher Lippincott Williams & Wilkins is aware of the need for an Android version. There is no timeline for release of an Android version at present.
REGISTER NOW FOR ACSM’s 2013 ANNUAL MEETING AND WORLD CONGRESS ON EXERCISE IS MEDICINE®
ACSM’s 60th Annual Meeting and 4th World Congress on Exercise is Medicine® (EIM) will take place in Indianapolis, IN, from May 28 to June 1, 2013. You won’t want to miss this meeting, considered to be the most comprehensive sports medicine and exercise science conference in the world.
At ACSM’s Annual Meeting—which boasts of 12 topical tracks, including EIM—attendees of more than 70 disciplines come together from around the globe to share new clinical techniques, scientific advancements, and cutting-edge research in sports medicine, exercise science, physical activity, and public health. Whether you’re a student or established professional, the ACSM Annual Meeting offers you an international stage to present your research, network with top experts, and gain continuing education to help you reach your professional potential.
In addition to the informative lectures and symposia, ACSM’s Annual Meeting also will include networking opportunities, on-site job boards and online job postings, a student colloquium, exhibit hall, and much more. Make sure to preregister by May 15, 2013. To register or to check out the preview program, visit www.acsmannualmeeting.org.
GET INVOLVED! MAY IS EXERCISE IS MEDICINE® MONTH
This May marks the fifth annual Exercise is Medicine® (EIM) Month. Now it’s easier than ever to participate. Here’s how you can get involved:
- Secure a proclamation from your state governor or local mayor declaring May as EIM month. After getting your elected official’s signature, send us a copy at firstname.lastname@example.org, so we can recognize your efforts. If you secure a proclamation, ask the mayor to hold a special press announcement or event signifying EIM Month.
- Write an exercise prescription for your clients/patients with this easy-to-use form (http://www.exerciseismedicine.org/documents/B_ExPrescripReferral.pdf) or give the form to health care providers in your area. Doing so can help forge a connection between health care and fitness.
- Work to earn the Exercise is Medicine® Credential. The EIM Credential shows health care providers that a fitness professional is qualified to help his or her patients get the exercise they’ve prescribed. Fitness professionals interested in building their client referral base are eligible. Visit www.certification.acsm.org for more information.
- Use the resources in the EIM Health & Fitness Professionals’ Action Guide (http://www.exerciseismedicine.org/fitpros.htm). In this guide, you’ll find information on the exercise prescription and referral process and much more.
- Sign up for EIM updates and tools at www.exerciseismedicine.org. Receive more ideas and resources for integrating EIM into your professional life.
- Follow us on Twitter @EIMnews and on our Facebook page, Exercise is Medicine, for updates and other ideas on how to participate in EIM month.
- Follow EIM and pin relatable links to Pinterest at http://pinterest.com/eim2007/ and post relevant pictures to Instagram at http://instagram.com/eim2007/. If you are at an EIM month event, take photos and upload to Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram with #EIMmonth.