Who we are :
The "Asian-African Society of Mycobacteriology" (AASM) is a non-profit, scientific organization with a mission to foster unilateral, bilateral, multilateral networks of scientific, research and training collaborations among experts from AASM countries.
The AASM is committed to :
- Establish a network of laboratories with the objective of enhancing quality control and quality assurance of mycobacteriology within the inter- and intra-regions in AASM countries.
- Promote the advancement of diagnosis, treatment and prevention of Mycobacterial diseases.
- Review and participate in the development of new-diagnostic tests and kits for the rapid detection of mycobacterium.
- Collaborate and participate in the introduction of new drug(s) and design protocols for the treatment of mycobacterial diseases.
- Invest and collaborate with laboratories whose activities are directed towards research and development of new vaccines for tuberculosis and other mycobacterial diseases.
- Facilitate exchange of ideas and information through scientific meetings and publications.
- Promote inter- and intra-regional cooperation aimed at the prevention of mycobacterial diseases within AASM countries.
- Promote M.D, PhD and specialist training programmes within the AASM countries and in collaboration with other established universities throughout the world.
- Secure funding for researcher(s) in the development of new
- Diagnostic kits and procedures.
- Facilitate and promote research on mycobacterial diseases for outstanding researchers.
- Advise, collaborate and participate with governmental and non-governmental agencies in matters of common interest.
- Establish and maintain close linkages with international agencies involved in the prevention of mycobacterial diseases worldwide ( e.g., WHO, CDC,ASM,IUATLD,. etc).
- Raise funds and seek donations to support activities in the prevention of mycobacterial diseases.