Departments: HJ Report
AAA HONORS ACADEMY MEMBERS
Several distinguished individuals who are active in hearing healthcare were honored with awards at the American Academy of Audiology's AudiologyNow! 2012 meeting in March.
At the general assembly, AAA President Therese Walden, AuD, presented the Presidential Award to Deb Abel, AuD, senior education specialist, business practices; Annette Burton, AuD, chair, coding and reimbursement committee; and Sharon Sandridge, PhD, chair, DiscovEARy Zone Task Force. The President's Award is given to those who have provided exemplary volunteer service to the president and the academy.
Also recognized by the academy during the convention were:
* Birger Kollmeier, PhD, International Award in Hearing
* Brenda M. Ryals, PhD, Jerger Career Award for Research in Audiology
* Devangi Dalal, Humanitarian Award
* Earl Harford, PhD, Samuel F. Lybarger Award for Achievements in Industry
* Carol Flexer, PhD; Deborah Hayes, PhD; and James Hall III, PhD, a member of The Hearing Journal's editorial board, for the Distinguished Achievement Award
FUNDRAISER FOR THE MAUI NATIONAL GUARD
Elite Hearing Network, an independent hearing care provider, raised $13,000 for the Maui National Guard during its 2012 Annual Business Summit in February.
The fundraiser, Operation Sandtastic, was a team competition for sand sculpting. Nearly 200 network members participated and donated to the Maui organization, Family and Friends of Na Koa E Kapili, who rely on community donations to support deployed soldiers and the Maui National Guard.