This article summarizes the research base, probable mechanism of actions, and clinical applications of acupuncture. It offers the clinician a deeper understanding of appropriate conditions for which acupuncture may be useful, outlines how to integrate acupuncture into a clinical practice, and describes referral and training issues.
* Basic theories of acupuncture from both traditional and scientific perspectives are reviewed.
* The reader is provided with information about indications for acupuncture.
* The acupuncture encounter is described.
* Safety and efficacy data on acupuncture are reviewed.
* An algorithm for the referral process to acupuncture is provided.