Skip Navigation LinksHome > January/March 2013 - Volume 28 - Issue 1 > Canthopexy and tarsal reinforcement using a periosteal flap
Revista Brasileira de Cirurgia Plastica:
doi: 20130100.0-00007
Original Article

Canthopexy and tarsal reinforcement using a periosteal flap

Cardim, Vera Lucia Nocchi1; Bazzi, Khaled2; dos Santos Silva, Alessandra3; Silva, Mariana Gomes e2; dos Santos, Fernanda Martins2; Salomons, Rolf Lucas3; de Lima e Silva, Adriano3; de Faria Valle Dornelles, Rodrigo4

Collapse Box

Abstract

Introduction:: The low resistance of the palpebral tissues to the retractable forces of postoperative scarring can predispose patients to undesirable surgical outcomes. Among the more effective techniques for solving this issue are the periosteal flaps. This report aims to present a technique for canthopexy and tarsal reconstitution using a periosteal flap to obtain a consistent and definitive reinforcement of the tarsal ligament and its continuity to the inner face of the sidewall of the orbit.

Methods:: From July 2009 to December 2012, 49 patients underwent canthopexy with flap rotation of the arcus marginalis of the inferior tarsus. The functional and aesthetic results were evaluated together with the presence of complications.

Results:: Eighty-four cantopexies and tarsal reinforcements using a periosteal flap were performed in 49 patients. No complications such as hematoma, infection, or necrosis were observed. Complete remission of the preoperative signals was observed in 45 (91.8%) patients, while the other 4 (8.2%) showed partial remission on at least one of the sides related to prior ocularis paralysis.

Conclusions:: Canthopexy reinforced by a tarsal periosteal flap provides good tarsal ligament reconstitution with appropriate positioning of the outer corner and good contact of the eyelid with the ocular globe.

© 2013 Sociedade Brasileira de Cirurgia Plastica

You currently do not have access to this article.

You may need to:

Note: If your society membership provides for full-access to this article, you may need to login on your society’s web site first.

Login

Search for Similar Articles
You may search for similar articles that contain these same keywords or you may modify the keyword list to augment your search.