Each month Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery publishes a CME article. Monthly CME articles published in the Journal of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery have multiple-choice question tests which can be taken online. This activity is also automatically reported to ASPS and added to your CME credit totals. The only type of credit you can receive for completing this educational activity is a CME category 1 credit, of which you need 60 hours in years 3, 6, and 9 of the 10-year cycle, to satisfy Part II of MOC, which is Life Long Learning. Additionally, you can earn up to .5 hours of Patient Safety Credit with each test.
Each CME test remains active for a period of 3 calendar years. During that time, the test for an article can be taken for 1 hour of Category 1 credit, and up to .5 hours Patient Safety credit. CMEs published more than three years ago cannot be taken for credit but are suitable for use as study guides.
All CME tests are now part of the ASPS Online Education Center catalog of courses. Hosting the CMEs on the Online Education Center provides many advantages to everyone taking the CME tests:
Beginning in the second quarter of 2010, PRS will launch a new series of 36 CME articles and tests. Those tests will include numerous videos, PowerPoint slide presentations, and other components that will take the CME program to the next level. We look forward to offering those CME articles and tests because they will represent the next generation of online learning for plastic surgery.
- Dynamic test taking environment, in which the standard written test questions will be accompanied by figures to enhance the overall educational value.
- Test takers who pass the online multiple-choice tests will be linked to a PDF file that shows then which answers were correct and which were not.
- Post-test discussions of answers provide test takers with in-depth reasons as to why the correct answers were correct, and why the wrong answers were wrong.
- Single sign on for all ASPS members—No cumbersome multiple log-ins to view a CME article and take a CME test.
- Automatic recording of CME credits for ASPS members—All ASPS members who successfully complete a CME test activity have credit for that activity automatically recorded with the ASPS. Third party recording keeping is eliminated, and certificates for successful completion of CME activities can be easily generated.
- Convenience of obtaining credit—As in the past, each PRS CME test continues to represent a convenient way to obtain 1 hour of Category 1 CME credit and .5 hours of Patient Safety credit. Members take the tests online; they can take tests in the privacy of their offices or home at any time, day or night, any day of the year. No travel to an educational course (along with associated travel expenses) is necessary.
- Wide range of topics—PRS CME tests cover a wide variety of topics that spans the breadth and depth of plastic and reconstructive surgery.
- Quality content and tests—Every PRS CME article and test has been rigorously peer-reviewed and represents the highest quality in articles and test content. Articles present current, state-of-the-art material for the most up-to-date information.
An additional change in the CME articles and tests is that the ASPS now charges a modest fee for them:
- $25/test for ASPS members
- $100/test for non-ASPS members