We wish, therefore, to emphasize the possible problems related to the use of so many foreign materials that perhaps are too easily used ever more frequently because of statistics and results that may overstate their success.
Fabio M. Abenavoli, M.D.
Andrea Servili, M.D.
Roberto Corelli, M.S.
1. von Buelow, S., von Heimburg, D., and Pallua, N. Efficacy and safety of polyacrylamide hydrogel for facial soft-tissue augmentation. Plast. Reconstr. Surg.
116: 1137, 2005.
2. Christensen, L., Breiting, V., Janssen, M., Vuust, J., and Hogdall, E. Adverse reactions to injectable soft tissue permanent fillers. Br. J. Dermatol.
154: 755, 2006.
3. Amin, S. P., Marmur, E. S., and Goldberg, D. J. Complications from injectable polyacrylamide gel, a new nonbiodegradable soft tissue filler. Dermatol. Surg.
30: 1507, 2004.
4. De Cassia Novaes, W., and Berg, A. Experiences with a new nonbiodegradable hydrogel (Aquamid): A pilot study. Aesthetic Plast. Surg.
27: 425, 2003.
5. Breiting, V., Aasted, A., Jorgensen, A., Opitz, P., and Rosetzsky, A. A study on patients treated with polyacrylamide hydrogel injection for facial corrections. Aesthetic Plast. Surg.
28: 45, 2004.
Viewpoints, pertaining to issues of general interest, are welcome, even if they are not related to items previously published. Viewpoints may present unique techniques, brief technology updates, technical notes, and so on. Viewpoints will be published on a space-available basis because they are typically less timesensitive than Letters and other types of articles. Please note the following criteria:
Authors will be listed in the order in which they appear in the submission. Viewpoints should be submitted electronically via PRS' enkwell, at www.editorialmanager.com/prs/. We strongly encourage authors to submit figures in color.
We reserve the right to edit letters and viewpoints to meet requirements of space and format. Any financial interests relevant to the content of the correspondence must be disclosed. Submission of a letter and/or viewpoint constitutes permission for the American Society of Plastic Surgeons and its licensees and assignees to publish it in the Journal and in any other form or medium.
The views, opinions, and conclusions expressed in the letters to the Editor and viewpoints represent the personal opinions of the individual writers and not those of the publisher, the Editorial Board, or the sponsors of the Journal. Any stated views, opinions, and conclusions do not reflect the policy of any of the sponsoring organizations or of the institutions with which the writer is affiliated, and the publisher, the Editorial Board, and the sponsoring organizations assume no responsibility for the content of such correspondence.