INSTRUCTIONS Creating a new healthcare landscape
* To take the test online, go to our secure website at http://www.nursingcenter.com/ce/nm.
* On the print form, record your answers in the test answer section of the CE enrollment form on page 29. Each question has only one correct answer. You may make copies of these forms.
* Complete the registration information and course evaluation. Mail the completed form and registration fee of $21.95 to: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, CE Group, 74 Brick Blvd., Bldg. 4, Suite 206, Brick, NJ 08723. We will mail your certificate in 4 to 6 weeks. For faster service, include a fax number and we will fax your certificate within 2 business days of receiving your enrollment form.
* You will receive your CE certificate of earned contact hours and an answer key to review your results. There is no minimum passing grade.
* Registration deadline is April 30, 2016.
DISCOUNTS and CUSTOMER SERVICE
* Send two or more tests in any nursing journal published by LWW together and deduct $0.95 from the price of each test.
* We also offer CE accounts for hospitals and other health care facilities on nursingcenter.com. Call 1-800-787-8985 for details.
Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, publisher of Nursing Management, will award 2.3 contact hours for this continuing nursing education activity.
LWW is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.
This activity is also provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider Number CEP 11749 for 2.3 contact hours, the District of Columbia, and Florida #50-1223. Your certificate is valid in all states.
The ANCC's accreditation status of Lippincott Williams & Wilkins Department of Continuing Education refers to its continuing nursing education activities only and does not imply Commission on Accreditation approval or endorsement of any commercial product.
Creating a new healthcare landscape
GENERAL PURPOSE: To provide information about creating a new healthcare landscape. LEARNING OBJECTIVES: After reading the article and taking this test, you'll be able to: 1. Discern differences between the traditional healthcare environment and the emerging healthcare landscape. 2. Identify characteristics of the new healthcare landscape that will help reduce healthcare costs.
1. To adapt to the changing healthcare environment, providers are shifting their focus to
a. managed care.
b. fee for service.
c. outpatient services.
d. a paradigm of wellness.
2. The new national priorities are providing value-based services and
a. fee-for-service care.
b. population health initiatives.
3. Healthcare reform is increasingly focused on clinical outcomes and
a. collaborative practice.
b. reducing the cost of care.
c. the electronic medical record.
d. patient perceptions of their experiences.
4. The RRP targets hospital readmissions for designated disease conditions within
a. 30 days.
b. 60 days.
c. 90 days.
d. 120 days.
5. With VBP, one criterion for hospital reimbursement is
a. magnitude of improvement over time.
b. improvement greater than similar area hospitals.
c. hospital standing in relation to the national average.
d. hospital standing in relation to all other hospitals in the community.
6. One important implication for EBP is to
a. eliminate frivolous litigation.
b. standardize practice throughout the community.
c. determine the practices that the CMS will reimburse.
d. provide insight into what practices work to improve patient outcomes.
7. An initiative that will be the metric to determine organizational success is
b. minimizing readmissions.
c. number and variety of services provided.
d. low incidence of HAIs.
8. One way that nurses can affect how the CMS factors in the withhold return calculation is
a. helping increase quicker hospital discharges.
b. using expensive supplies and equipment in a cost-effective manner.
c. improving their ability to communicate with patients and the care team.
d. increasing the number of patients seen by reducing the amount of time with each person.
9. Patient self-care at home can be optimized by having nurses
a. begin patient education at the bedside.
b. call the patient the day after discharge.
c. involve family members in patient care.
d. provide more details with discharge instructions.
10. Improved communication with patients includes all of following except
a. making eye contact.
b. listening attentively.
c. minimizing distractions.
d. taking notes while talking.
11. Activities that help build a relationship with a patient include
a. providing excellent clinical care.
b. making rounds and discharge calls.
c. documenting patient care diligently.
d. using appropriate handwashing techniques.
12. As healthcare goes through a period of change, patients consider which of the following basic care?
a. humanistic interaction
b. timely delivery of care
c. consistent delivery of care
d. protection from adverse outcomes
13. Considering the healthcare changes occurring today, what key business principles need to be incorporated into an organization?
a. Accomplishing more care with fewer resources.
b. Providing the same patient care as before, just faster.
c. Sharing jobs to expand the healthcare workforce.
d. Linking the delivery of high-quality care with efficiency.
14. To have a positive impact on the financial bottom line, organizations need to
a. increase the number of healthcare team members.
b. transfer readmissions to another healthcare facility.
c. prepare the patient to self-manage his or her condition at home.
d. delegate nursing functions to UAP.
15. A characteristic of the value-based-services model includes
a. selecting the most cost-effective options available.
b. focusing on wellness programs as much as disease interventions.
c. having UAP deliver most of the healthcare.
d. preventing readmission for the same condition with longer hospital stays.
16. A requirement to participate in an ACO is to
a. incorporate wellness programs into practice.
b. make ongoing financial contributions to the ACO.
c. have at least three physicians identified on the application.
d. keep a certain number of patients in the facility at all times.
17. Which of the following should organizations provide for cost containment due to Medicare patients with multiple conditions?
a. lifestyle modifications
b. limited screening programs
c. fee-for-service programs
d. isolated services for each condition
18. The need for transparency of information is impacted by
a. the PPACA.
b. increased patient understanding of medical conditions.
c. ACOs identifying individuals who'll benefit from their services.
d. the safety of patients with complex conditions due to using different health sectors.
© 2014 Wolters Kluwer Health | Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. All world rights reserved.