Clinical Nuclear Medicine:
From the *Department of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging, IRCCS Neuromed, Pozzilli (IS); and †Department of Biopathology and Diagnostic Imaging, University “Tor Vergata,” Rome, Italy.
Received for publication February 16, 2012; revision accepted May 30, 2012.
Conflicts of interest and sources of funding: none declared.
Reprints: Ferdinando Calabria, MD, Department of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging, IRCCS Neuromed, Via Atinense 18, 86077 Pozzilli (IS), Italy. E-mail: email@example.com.
Abstract: Two years after resection of a left parietal glioma, a 46-year-old woman underwent 18F-FDG and 18F-DOPA brain PET/CT. FDG showed left parietal hypometabolism with crossed cerebellar diaschisis. No abnormally increased FDG activity was seen. 18F-DOPA PET/CT scan demonstrated focal left parietal uptake. Recurrent glioma was confirmed by surgical biopsy. 18F-DOPA may demonstrate abnormal amino acid metabolism in evaluation of recurrence of glioma.
1. Tripathi M, Sharma R, Varshney R, et al.. Comparison of F-18 FDG and C-11 methionine for the evaluation of recurrent primary brain tumors. Clin Nucl Med. 2012; 37: 158–163.
2. Kanhaiya LA, Bhagwant RM, Anish B, et al.. Crossed cerebellar diaschisis on F-18 FDG PET/CT. Indian J Nucl Med. 2011; 26: 102–103.
3. Shih WJ, Huang WS, Milan PP. F-18 FDG PET demonstrates crossed cerebellar diaschisis 20 years after stroke. Clin Nucl Med. 2006; 31: 259–261.
4. Gonzalez-Forero M, Prieto E, Domingues I, et al.. Dual time point 18F-DOPA PET as a tool for characterizing brain tumors. Rev Esp Med Nucl. 2011; 30: 88–93.
5. Fueger BJ, Czernin J, Cloughesy T, et al.. Correlation of 6-18F-fluoro-L-DOPA PET uptake with proliferation and tumor grade in newly diagnosed and recurrent gliomas. Clin Nucl Med. 2011; 36: 650–655.
6. Tripathi M, Sharma R, D’Souza M, et al.. Comparative evaluation of F-18 FDOPA, F-18 FDG and F-18 FLT-PET/CT for metabolic imaging of low grade gliomas. Clin Nucl Med. 2009; 34: 878–883.
7. Santra A, Kumar R, Sharma P, et al.. Detection of recurrence in glioma: a comparative study between Tc-99m GHA SPECT and F-18 FDG PET/CT. Clin Nucl Med. 2011; 36: 650–655.
8. Chen W, Silverman DH, Delaloye S, et al.. 18F-FDOPA PET imaging of brain tumors: comparison study with 18F-FDG PET and evaluation of diagnostic accuracy. J Nucl Med. 2006; 47: 904–911.
9. Ledezma CJ, Chen W, Sai V, et al.. 18F-DOPA PET/MRI fusion in patients with primary/recurrent gliomas: initial experience. Eur J Radiol. 2009; 71: 242–248.
10. Calabria F, Chiaravalloti A, Di Pietro B, et al.. Molecular imaging of brain tumors with 18F-DOPA PET and PET/CT. Nucl Med Commun. 2012; 33: 563–570.
© 2012 Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Inc.