Clinical Nuclear Medicine:
Abstract: The adrenal gland is an uncommon site of metastasis from differentiated thyroid carcinoma, and 131I-avid adrenal metastatic lesions are even rarer. Here, we describe a 54-year-old woman with 131I-avid adrenal metastasis from follicular thyroid carcinoma identified using 131I whole-body scan (131I-WBS) and 131I-SPECT/CT. 131I-SPECT/CT allowed superior localization of the equivocal 131I uptake in the 131I-WBS. It provides metabolic and anatomic information about a lesion, resulting in accurate localization and improved definition of 131I-WBS findings.
From the *Department of Nuclear Medicine, Shanghai Sixth People’s Hospital, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai; and †Department, Soochow University, Suzhou, China.
Received for publication December 7, 2011; and revision accepted April 23, 2012.
Conflicts of interest and sources of funding: none declared.
Reprints: Quan-Yong Luo, MD, Department of Nuclear Medicine, Shanghai Sixth People’s Hospital, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, 600 Yishan Rd, Shanghai 200233, China. E-mail: email@example.com.
1. Song HJ, Xue YL, Xu YH, et al.. Rare metastases of differentiated thyroid carcinoma: pictorial review. Endocr Relat Cancer. 2011; 30: 165–174.
2. Qiu ZL, Luo QY. Erector spinae metastases from differentiated thyroid cancer identified by I-131 SPECT/CT. Clin Nucl Med. 2009; 34: 137–140.
3. Yunta PJ, Ponce JL, Prieto M, et al.. Solitary adrenal gland metastasis of a follicular thyroid carcinoma presenting with hyperthyroidism. Ann Endocrinol (Paris). 2001; 62: 226–229.
4. Ferrer Garcia JC, Merino Torres JF, Ponce Marco JL, et al.. Unusual metastasis of differentiated thyroid carcinoma [in Spanish]. Ann Med Interna. 2002; 19: 579–582.
5. Paparel P, Tatou E, Krause D, et al.. Adrenal metastasis from follicular thyroid carcinoma with intra-cardiac thrombus. Prog Urol. 2004; 14: 203–204.
6. Kumar A, Nadig M, Patra V, et al.. Adrenal and renal metastases from follicular thyroid cancer. Br J Radiol. 2005; 78: 1038–1041.
7. Niederle B, Roka R, Schemper M, et al.. Surgical treatment of distant metastases in differentiated thyroid cancer: Indication and results. Surgery. 1986; 100: 1088–1097.
8. Graham LD, Roe SM. Metastatic papillary thyroid carcinoma presenting as a primary renal neoplasm. Am Surg. 1995; 61: 732–734.
9. Koutkia P, Safer JD. Adrenal metastasis secondary to papillary thyroid carcinoma. Thyroid. 2001; 11: 1077–1079.
10. Aïssaoui R, Turki Z, Achiche A, et al.. Adrenal metastasis of a papillary thyroid cancer [in French]. Ann Endocrinol (Paris). 2006; 67: 364–367.
11. Malhotra G, Upadhye TS, Sridhar E, et al.. Unusual case of adrenal and renal metastases from papillary carcinoma of thyroid. Clin Nucl Med. 2010; 35: 731–736.
12. Namwongprom S, Núñez RF, Yeung HW, et al.. Unusual adrenal metastasis and abdominal carcinomatosis secondary to Hurthle cell carcinoma of the thyroid. Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes. 2007; 115: 694–696.
13. Orsolon P, Bagni B, Geatti O, et al.. An unusual adrenal metastasis secondary to Hurthle cell carcinoma of the thyroid. Clin Nucl Med. 1996; 21: 312–315.
14. Qiu ZL, Xu YH, Song HJ, et al.. Localization and identification of parapharyngeal metastases from differentiated thyroid carcinoma by 131
I-SPECT/CT. Head Neck. 2011; 33: 171–177.
15. Song HJ, Xue YL, Xu YH, et al.. Abnormal 131
I uptake in a benign serous ovarian cystadenoma mimicking bladder physiological uptake. Clin Nucl Med. 2012; 37: e59–e60.
16. Xu YH, Huang XM, Song HJ, et al.. 131
I-SPECT/CT found an ovarian metastasis covered by iliac metastasis on 131
I whole-body scan in a patient with papillary thyroid carcinoma. Clin Nucl Med. 2011; 36: 363–364.