Skip Navigation LinksHome > March 1990 - Volume 26 - Issue 3 > The Perforating Branches of the Internal Carotid Artery: The...
Neurosurgery:
Experimental and clinical studies: PDF Only

The Perforating Branches of the Internal Carotid Artery: The Microsurgical Anatomy of Their Extracerebral Segments.

Marinkovié, Slobodan V. M.D., D.Sc.; Milisavljevié, Milan M. M.D., D.Sc.; Marinkovié, Zorica D. M.D., D.Sc.

Collapse Box

Abstract

: The perforating branches of the internal carotid artery (ICA) were examined in 30 forebrain hemispheres. These branches were present in all the cases studied, and varied from 1 to 6 in number (mean, 3.1). Their diameters ranged from 70 to 470 [mu]m (mean, 243 [mu]m). The perforating branches arose from the choroidal segment of the ICA, that is, from its caudal surface (52.3%), caudolateral surface (34.1%), or caudomedial surface (13.6%). They rarely originated from the bifurcation point of the ICA (10%). The distance of the remaining 90% of the perforators from the summit of the ICA measured between 0.6 and 4.6 mm. The perforating branches most often originated as individual vessels, and less frequently from a common stem with another vessel or by sharing the same origin site with another perforator or with the anterior choroidal artery. The bifurcation of the ICA, which is a frequent site for cerebral aneurysms, is surrounded by many perforating branches. Hence, great care must be taken to avoid damage to these important vessels during operations in that region. (Neurosurgery 26:472-479, 1990)

Copyright (C) by the Congress of Neurological Surgeons

Login

Article Tools

Share

Search for Similar Articles
You may search for similar articles that contain these same keywords or you may modify the keyword list to augment your search.