SAN DIEGO—Achievements in basic and clinical science, mentorship, and service were honored here at the American Transplant Congress, the joint annual meeting of the American Society of Transplant Surgeons (ASTS) and the American Society of Transplantation (AST), with the presentation of awards and grants.
The ASTS recognized the following individuals with awards:
• Frank Stuart, MD, Professor Emeritus, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine: ASTS– Genentech Pioneer Award.
• Todd V. Brennan, MD, MS, Duke University Medical Center, and Dana K. Perry, MD, Mayo Clinic: ASTS Vanguard Prize.
Frank Stuart, MD...Image Tools
• Suomi M. G. Fouraschen, MD, Department of Surgery, Erasmus MC, Rotterdam, the Netherlands: ASTS– ESOT (European Society for Organ Transplantation) Exchange Grant.
Todd V. Brennan, MD,...Image Tools
• Markus Selzner, MD, University of Toronto and Toronto General Hospital: ASTS–Astellas Faculty Development Award.
Suomi M. G. Fourasch...Image Tools
• Joseph Leventhal, MD, PhD, Northwestern University, and Suzanne Ildstad, MD, University of Louisville: ASTS–Pfizer Collaborative Scientist Award.
Markus Selzner, MD...Image Tools
• Bernd Schröppel, MD, Mount Sinai School of Medicine: ASTS–Pfizer Mid-Level Faculty Award.
• Na Yin, PhD, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, and Joshua Wolf, MD, Johns Hopkins Hospital: ASTS–Genentech Laboratories Scientist Scholarship.
Bernd Schrppel, MD...Image Tools
• Minh-Tri J. P. Nguyen, MD, CM, McGill University: ASTS–NKF (National Kidney Foundation) Folkert Belzer, MD, Research Award.
• Andrew Adams, MD, PhD, Massachusetts General Hospital: ASTS Fellowship in Transplantation.
Minh-Tri J. P. Nguye...Image Tools
• Jay Lee, University of Michigan; Jeremy J. Song, University of California, Irvine, School of Medicine; Rafael A. Vega, PhD, University of Illinois College of Medicine; and Matthew Zhang, MS, Thomas E. Starzl Transplantation Institute: Genentech Presidential Student Mentor Award.
In addition, Ronald W. Busuttil, MD, PhD, of the University of California, Los Angeles, and Mark Hardy, MD, of Columbia University Medical Center, were presented with the ASTS Francis Moore Excellence in Mentorship in Transplantation Surgery Award at the society's “State of the Art” Winter Symposium.
The AST honored the following individuals with awards and grants:
• Alan H. Wilkinson, MD, University of California, Los Angeles: AST Ernest Hodge Distinguished Achievement Award.
Mark Hardy, MD, left...Image Tools
• Francis L. Delmonico, MD, Massachusetts General Hospital: AST Senior Achievement Award in Clinical Transplantation.
Alan H. Wilkinson, M...Image Tools
• Hans W. Sollinger, MD, PhD, University of Wisconsin: AST Mentoring Award.
Francis L. Delmonico...Image Tools
• Mohamed Sayegh, MD, Brigham and Women's Hospital: AST Basic Science Established Investigator Award (Professor Level).
• Michael Green, MD, MPH, Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh: AST Clinical Science Established Investigator Award (Professor Level).
Mohamed Sayegh, MD...Image Tools
• Pavan Reddy, MD, University of Michigan: AST Basic Science Investigator Award (Associate Professor Level).
Michael Green, MD, M...Image Tools
• John Gill, MD, MS, University of British Columbia: AST Clinical Science Investigator Award (Associate Professor Level).
Pavan Reddy, MD...Image Tools
• James S. Allan, MD, Massachusetts General Hospital: AST Basic Science Career Development Award (Assistant Professor Level).
John Gill, MD, MS...Image Tools
• Deepali Kumar, MD, MSc, University of Alberta: AST Clinical Science Career Development Award (Assistant Professor Level).
James S. Allan, MD...Image Tools
• Roger W. Evans, PhD, Rochester, MN: AST Distinguished Service Award.
Deepali Kumar, MD, M...Image Tools
• Todd V. Brennan, MD, MS, Duke University Medical Center: AST Basic Science Faculty Development Grant.
• Daniel R. Goldstein, MD, Yale University: AST/Genentech “Branch Out” Grant.
• Wing-Hong Kwan, PhD, Mount Sinai School of Medicine; Esme Dijke, PhD, University of Alberta; and Sarah Bruneau, PhD, Children's Hospital Boston: AST/Pfizer Basic Science Fellowship Grants.
Daniel R. Goldstein,...Image Tools
• Rowena Delos Santos, MD, Oregon Health & Science University: AST/Astellas Clinical Science Fellowship Grant.
• Leonardo Riella, MD, Brigham and Women's Hospital and Harvard Medical School: AST/Astellas Basic Science Fellowship Grant.
Rowena Delos Santos,...Image Tools
• Joseph R. Scalea, MD, Transplantation Biology Research Center of Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School: AST/BMS (Bristol-Myers Squibb) Basic Science Fellowship Grant.
Leonardo Riella, MD...Image Tools
In other news from the conference, Maryl R. Johnson, MD, Medical Director of Heart Failure and Transplantation at the University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics, was inducted as President of the American Society of Transplantation.
Joseph R. Scalea, MD...Image Tools
“I look forward to a productive year and am committed to supporting an agenda that will engage and benefit all AST members and disciplines,” Dr. Johnson said in a news release. “As President, I will continue to support public policy advocacy efforts of immunosuppressive drug coverage and living donation, as well as foster collaboration with other organizations.”
Maryl R. Johnson, MD...Image Tools
The other officers on the 2010–2011 AST Board of Directors are:
• Joren C. Madsen, MD, DPhil, of Massachusetts General Hospital: Past President.
• Robert S. Gaston, MD, of the University of Alabama: President-Elect.
Joren C. Madsen, MD,...Image Tools
• Michael Green, MD, MPH, of the Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh: Secretary-Treasurer.
Robert S. Gaston, MD...Image Tools
The newly elected Councilors-at-Large are:
• Yolanda T. Becker, MD, of the University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics;
• Herwig-Ulf Meier-Kriesche, MD, of the University of Florida College of Medicine; and
Yolanda T. Becker, M...Image Tools
• Steven A. Webber, MBChB, of the Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh.
© 2010 Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Inc.