Journal of Thoracic Oncology:
History of the International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer
The IASLC has worked since 1974 to promote research into all aspects of lung cancer and thoracic malignancies, as well as encouraging worldwide cancer prevention efforts. Some recent highlights include:
- In 2000, IASLC published its Tokyo Declaration on Tobacco in 2000, urging governments to take action against the alarming rate at which lung cancer was occuring in men and women. In 2007, IASLC revised its Declaration on Tobacco, adding a recommendation that governments “initiate legislative action for ultimate elimination of manufacture and sales of tobacco products.”
- In 2006, IASLC published its first statement on CT screening for lung cancer, based on preliminary results from the National Lung Screening Trial (NLST) in the United States. On July 4, 2011, IASLC revised its Statement on CT Screening for Lung Cancer to take into account new data and results from the NLST, as well as ongoing trials around the world.
- In 2009, IASLC unveiled the International Staging Classification System for Lung Cancer, developed in collaboration with the American Joint Committee on Cancer (AJCC) and the Union for International Cancer Control (UICC). Although the TNM (tumor, node, metastasis) classification of malignant tumors had existed for decades, the 7th TNM revision used an international database developed with IASLC to broaden understanding of the clinical staging of lung cancer.
- In 2011, IASLC published the International Multidisciplinary Classification of Lung Adenocarcinoma, the first revision to the classification in six years and the first to be developed by a multidisciplinary panel of experts. IASLC developed the classification with oversight from the American Thoracic Society and the European Respiratory Society.
- In 2013 the ALK Atlas was published by the IASLC together with the Progress in Lung Cancer, Celebrating 40th years Anniversary.
- The IASLC Multidisciplinary Approach to Thoracic Oncology Text Book is planned to be published in Mau 2014.
IASLC supports research fellowships to promote the study of lung cancer prevention, diagnosis and treatment. It publishes the Journal of Thoracic Oncology, an important resource for medical specialists and scientists who focus on the detection, prevention, diagnosis and treatment of lung cancer.
IASLC hosts the World Conference on Lung Cancer and partners with other international cancer organizations to host various annual workshops and conferences around the world.
Previous and future world conferences:
- 1978: Hilton Head, U.S.A.
- 1980: Copenhagen, Denmark
- 1982: Tokyo, Japan
- 1985: Toronto, Canada
- 1988: Interlaken, Switzerland
- 1991: Melbourne, Australia
- 1994: Colorado Springs, U.S.A.
- 1997: Dublin, Ireland
- 2000: Tokyo, Japan
- 2003: Vancouver, Canada
- 2005: Barcelona, Spain
- 2007: Seoul, Korea
- 2009: San Francisco, U.S.A.
- 2011: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- 2013: Sydney, Australia
- 2015: Denver, U.S.A.
- 2016: Vienna, Austria
- 2017: Yokohama, Japan
- 2018: Toronto, Canada
For more information about IASLC, please go to www.iaslc.org
Copyright © 2014 by the International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer