The European Society for Medical Oncology (ESMO) is the leading European professional organization, committed to advancing the specialty of medical oncology and promoting a multidisciplinary approach to cancer treatment and care.
Since its founding in 1975 as a non-profit organization, ESMO's mission has been to advance cancer care and cure. We achieve this through fostering and disseminating good science that leads to better medicine and determines best practice. In this way ESMO fulfils its goal to support oncology professionals in providing people with cancer with the most effective treatments available and the high-quality care they deserve.
The myESMO community is a powerful alliance of committed oncology professionals. ESMO tailors its programs to meet its members' professional development needs. We provide innovative international platforms for our members to continue to build up their expertise and to remain up-to-date with the competence and skills required to be recognized as top-quality oncology practitioners. Through our ESMO awards, we recognize our members' achievements in the field of oncology.
Our sense of community reaches beyond medical oncology and across all oncology specialties. While the majority of our 6,000 members are medical oncologists, ESMO membership span over 100 countries and also includes radiation and surgical oncologists, as well as other oncology healthcare professionals actively involved in cancer treatment, research, and patient care.
A core part of our mission is to both nurture and disseminate cancer research. ESMO is actively involved in creating a more favorable environment for innovative and high-quality basic, translational and clinical cancer research.
* Annals of Oncology: ESMO's multidisciplinary scientific journal, Annals of Oncology, ranks among the top clinical oncology journals worldwide and publishes articles addressing medical oncology, surgery, radiotherapy, pediatric oncology, basic research and the comprehensive management of patients with malignant diseases.
* ESMO Clinical Recommendations: Annually updated requirements for a basic standard of cancer care, offering vital, evidence-based information for physicians, including incidence of the malignancy, diagnostic criteria, staging of disease and risk assessment, treatment plans and follow-up.
* ESMO Fellowship Program: Offers young oncologists the opportunity to gain research experience in outstanding European Institutes, obtain financial support, and take advantage of networking opportunities. The program is designed to provide a clear perspective on future research potential and patient management.
ESMO recognizes the importance of education as an essential tool to maintain excellence in patient care. Our experienced committee experts and multidisciplinary faculty ensure excellence in ESMO educational programs, which contextualize research results and cover the full spectrum of cancer treatment and care.
* ESMO Congress: The annual ESMO Congress, held every second year in joint partnership with the European CanCer Organisation (ECCO), is recognized as the European meeting place for medical oncologists to present and learn about the latest in basic, translational and clinical research findings as well as to network and exchange ideas with their colleagues.
* ESMO Conferences: Together with other leading European oncology organizations, ESMO organizes conferences in its four core specialty areas of breast cancer, gastrointestinal cancer, genitourinary cancer and lung cancer, as well as in other tumor types and cancer topics.
* Continuing Medical Education: In addition to physical and virtual meetings, ESMO publishes handbooks, scientific meeting reports, medical oncology training guidelines, offers the ESMO Exam and provides interactive practice and self-assessment tools, as well as other educational materials online at www.esmo.org.
* Patient Seminars: Education at ESMO extends beyond oncology professionals. Through ESMO's pioneering Patient Seminars, education also reaches out to cancer patients in order to facilitate an open dialogue and partnership with them as part of our mission to embrace the needs of those suffering from cancer.
PUBLIC POLICY AND PARTNERSHIP
European Union: Recognized as an authoritative voice in the fight against cancer, ESMO prepares position papers as well as offers consultative expertise to oncology organizations and European authorities on important issues related to cancer research, prevention, diagnosis, treatment and cure.
Oncology partners: ESMO addresses the universal needs in oncology by being a reliable partner to all stakeholders in the multidisciplinary oncology environment. We know that we cannot fight this battle alone. Therefore through our activities we unite key oncology stakeholders who share our goals and objectives. Enhancing our relationships with European and national oncology societies, as well as cooperative research groups, consolidates and strengthens our European network and reinforces our united efforts.
To join ESMO today or to find our more about our Society, please visit: www.esmo.org.