Quiz – Osteoarthritic Knee Braces on the Market: A Literature Review, Kelly S. Brooks, BS, CP
1. (True or False) ____________ The incidence of secondary osteoarthritis resulting from knee trauma is higher in men compared to women in both younger and older populations.
2. [Select the correct response.] Osteoarthritis is also referred to as ___________ or degenerative joint disease.
3. (True or False) ____________ During normal gait, forces are evenly distributed across the knee joint surface.
4. (True or False) ______________ A surgical approach is generally not recommended for the younger population.
5. [Select the correct response.] Which of the following knee braces was touted as able to be used effectively following an injury of the menisci.
A. Thruster 2/DUO Knee Brace
B. SofTec OA Knee Brace
C. Legacy Thruster OA
6. [Select the correct response.] The DUO is the only double upright “dynamic” osteoarthritic brace on the market that creates a load across the joint when the knee is ______________ and reduces the load when the knee is __________________.
7. (True or False) ________________ Concerning the Thruster 2, approximately 75% of the patients continued to wear the brace after one year.
8. [Select the correct response.] The Defiance OA brace has a _________________ system that offers ligament stability.
9. [Select the correct response.] According to the article, this brace is ideally suited for active patients as a result of its “perfect fit.”
A. Fusion OA
B. Defiance OA
C. OA Nano
D. OA Adjuster
10. (True or False) _____________ It is important for the wearer to be able to adjust the amount of valgus loading applied by the brace to the knee with an OA key.
11. [Select the correct response.] Which of the following conditions apply to the Unloader Express:
A. easy to fit
B. designed for the more active person
C. cost effective
D. A only
E. A and C
F. All of the above
G. None of the above
12. [Select the correct response.] One distinction of the Unloader One is that it is:
A. the least expensive and one of the most popular of all offloading OA knee braces currently on the market
B. one of the most durable, well-crafted and constructed offloading OA knee braces available
C. the most investigated of all offloading OA knee braces currently on the market
13. [Select the correct response.] According to the article, the __________________ is the most widely used osteoarthritic knee brace in the world.
A. Unloader Select
B. Unloader Spirit
C. Genu Arthro
D. Unloader One
14. (True or False) ____________ Relief from the BioniCare Knee Device can be experienced as early as the first month, but typically it takes up to four to six months to see improvement.
Complete the JPO Self-Assessment Examination on the previous page and score a minimum of 80 percent to earn two MCE credits. Send the completed examination and payment in U.S. currency ($20 for Academy members, $50 nonmembers) to: American Academy of Orthotists and Prosthetists, 1331 H Street NW, Suite 501, Washington, DC 20005. The examination must be received by the Academy within three years of the publication date for credit to be awarded.
Name:__________________________________________________ email: ________________________________________
Credentials:______________________________________________ Certification #__________________________________
City/State/Zip:____________________________________________ Phone ________________________________________