VOLUME 24 • NUMBER 4 • 2012
TO EARN TWO MCE CREDITS:
1. Read the article on pages 202–208.
2. Complete the examination.
3. Submit your completed examination to the Academy per the directions on the next page.
The following questions require short answers only; you do not have to use complete sentences. All questions refer to the article, “A Comparison of Energy Expenditure in People with Transfemoral Amputation Using Microprocessor and Nonmicroprocessor Knee Prostheses: A Systematic Review” by Christopher K.Wong, PT, PhD, OCS, Stephany Benoy, BS, Wren Blackwell, BS, Sarah Jones, BA, Rana Rahal, BS.
Please allow two to four weeks for processing.
Quiz – A Comparison of Energy Expenditure in People with Transfemoral Amputation Using Microprocessor and Nonmicroprocessor Knee Prostheses: A Systematic Review, Christopher K. Wong, PT, PhD, OCS, Stephany Benoy, BS, Wren Blackwell, BS, Sarah Jones, BA, Rana Rahal, BS
1. [Select the correct response.] Microprocessor knee (MPK) prostheses have _______that continuously detect(s) joint position, direction, and speed of forces acting upon knee.
A. primary sensor
B. multiple sensors
2. True or False ________________ A MPK prosthesis has proven to effectively and consistently provide stumble prevention, cost benefits, and reduced energy expenditure.
3. [Select the correct response.] The ___________ scale is an established scale for comprehensive assessment of methodological quality of clinical trials, including prosthetic research with moderate reliability for consensus scores and good construct validity upon Rasch analysis.
4. [Select the correct response.] Only oxygen consumption reductions of more than ____________, which is the normal variation in submaximal exercise, were considered clinically significant.
5. True or False ____________ At self-selected speeds, energy consumption between MPK and non-MPK use did not vary by more than 8%.
6. [Select the correct response.] According to the article, the authors concluded that although differences were small, MPK use _____________ reduce energy most effectively at speeds other than self-selected speed.
B. will not
7. True or False _______________ Non-random test order (i.e., MPK before non-MPK) was one of the limitations included when discussing the topic of energy reduction during MPK use at speeds other than self-selected speed.
8. True or False ______________ The authors concluded that energy consumption reductions resulting from MPK use may be speed-dependent.
9. [Select the correct response.] Oxygen consumption ______________ with MPK use compared to non-MPK use in both the self-selected speed and fast paced walk tests concerning obstacle course performance for the ten (10) subjects.
C. remained the same
10. True or False ______________ The authors concluded the C-Leg® increased energy consumption compared to the non-MPK.
11. True or False ___________ The authors concluded that the reduction in energy consumption with MPK use compared to non-MPK use was clinically significant because it paralleled the subjects’ perception of greater ease.
12. [Select the correct response.] Results cannot be generalized to a broad population because of ______________:
A. small sample size
B. low representation within the samples of males and middle-aged adults
C. lack of specific inclusion of traumatic amputees
Complete the JPO Self-Assessment Examination on the previous page and score a minimum of 80 percent to earn two MCE credits. Send the completed examination and payment in U.S. currency ($20 for Academy members, $50 nonmembers) to: The American Academy of Orthotists and Prosthetists, 1331 H Street NW, Suite 501, Washington, DC 20005. The examination must be received by the Academy within three years of the publication date for credit to be awarded.
Name:__________________________________________________ E-mail: _______________________________________
Credentials:______________________________________________ Certification #__________________________________
City/State/Zip:____________________________________________ Phone ________________________________________