Call for Applications
Editor in Chief
Journal of Geriatric Physical Therapy
The Journal of Geriatric Physical Therapy, the peer-reviewed publication of the Section on Geriatrics of the American Physical Therapy Association, invites qualified individuals to submit an application for the role of Editor in Chief.
The Journal of Geriatric Physical Therapy is the leading source of clinically applicable evidence for achieving optimal health, wellness, mobility, and physical function across the continuum of health status for the aging adult. The JGPT is published quarterly by Wolters Kluwer Health | Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. The JGPT is indexed in Medline/Pubmed, CINHAL, EMBASE, AMED, Science Citation Index Expanded (SciSearch), Journal Citation Reports/Science Edition, and Current Contents/Clinical Medicine. First published in 2001, the JGPT has grown from 2 or 3 articles/per issue published three times years to a quarterly publication of up to eight research reports, special interest papers, and case reports per issue. With 60 or more submissions per year, the work of the JGPT as a source of evidence for clinical practice is supported by three Associate Editors, and a cadre of more than 120 reviewers. Since 2007, with the move to LWW as publisher, the JGPT has been using online submission and review, via the Editorial Manager platform.
Minimum qualifications for the position include a research-oriented degree (PhD, DSc, EdD), a record of successful publication, and a record of providing effective peer review for scientific journals in the field of aging. Salary to be determined
Interested applications should send a letter of intent and a current curriculum vita to the current Editor, Michelle M. Lusardi PT DPT PhD (firstname.lastname@example.org). Dr. Lusardi welcomes inquiries about the role and workload of the Editor in Chief. Application deadline is September 31, 2012, with the intent to have the next editor assume the role in January 2013.
The roles and responsibilities of the JGPT Editor in Chief are as follows:
Commitment: 10-15 hours per week (on average) to Journal activities
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Work collaboratively with the managing and production publishers at Wolters Kluwer/LWW to produce 4 print issues of the Journal yearly.
2. Prepare Table of Contents and Editorial Message for each issue.
3. Perform initial review of all submitted manuscripts to determine readiness for peer review and suitability for the Journal.
4. Work with Associate Editors to insure timely and effective peer review process of those manuscripts the Editor has deemed appropriate for further evaluation (i.e. weekly monitoring of review process within online Editorial Manager system).
5. Recruit, train, and maintain an effective cadre of peer reviewers for each review team
6. Publish CSM research paper and poster abstracts annually (online at www.jgpt.org)
7. Work on methods to continually improve quality of the Journal to assure members’ needs are met.
8. Work with the Editorial Advisory Board members to determine growth and development initiatives for the Journal.
9. Communicate effectively and consistently with the Journal’s Liaison to the Section on Geriatrics
10. Prepare and submit an annual report of Journal activities, and a fiscally sound budget for the Journal for the Section’s Board of Directors
11. Effectively manage expenses associated with Journal operations.
12. Participate in monthly Journal management meetings (conference calls) with the publisher
13. Lead quarterly Journal management meetings via conference call with the Associate Editors
14. Work collaboratively with the Publisher to expand subscription (e.g., explore partnerships with other professional groups focused on care of older adults)
15. Work collaboratively with the Publisher to identify, procure, and approve appropriate advertisement to support publication of the Journal.
16. Review and update the Journal’s strategic plan on a 3-5 year cycle.
17. Participate in Section Board of Directors Meetings as required (e.g., attendance at CSM, Section conference calls and strategic planning, etc.)