*Department of the Republican Specialized Scientific and Practical Medical Center of Pediatrics
†Society of Pediatrics Gastroenterolgists
‡Dietician of Uzbekistan, Tashkent, Uzbekistan
The author declares that there is nothing to disclose.
Reprints: Leah Kopp, WGO and WGO Foundation, World Gastroenterology Organisation, WGO Foundation, 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, WI 53202 (e-mail: email@example.com).
SOCIETY OF PEDIATRICS GASTROENTEROLOGISTS AND DIETICIAN OF UZBEKISTAN
Uzbekistan is located in the central part of Central Asia in a beautiful oasis between 2 rivers: the Amudarya and Syrdarya. This truly fantastic country charms at first sight. The beauty of its nature captures emerald green foliage on a background of the blue sky and white clouds. There is also an abundance of ancient monuments and ancient architecture. Uzbekistan has a rich and diverse natural environment. Uzbekistan is Central Asia’s most populous country. Its 30,183,400 citizens comprise nearly half the region’s total population. The population of Uzbekistan is very young: 34.1% of its people are younger than 18 (2008 estimate). About 120 nations and nationalities live in its territory. According to official sources, Uzbeks comprise a majority (80%) of the total population. The capital city is Tashkent. The city possesses the highest economical, scientific, and cultural potential in the country. After gaining independence in 1991, Uzbekistan medicine rose to a new world level. The main aim of the measure in the field of health care is to provide qualified medical care to all sectors of the population.
The Society of Pediatrics Gastroenterologists and Dietician of Uzbekistan was created in July 2008. The founders of the Society are pediatricians who specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of gastrointestinal diseases in children and matters of nutrition in various diseases of children. The Society collaborates with local, regional, and international stake holders and partners like the Ministry of Health, Ecological movement of Uzbekistan, and WGO.
ACTIVITIES OF THE SOCIETY
* Acquired legal registration license from the Justice Ministry of Uzbekistan.
* Developed logo and stamp of the Public Society “Pediatrics Gastroenterologists and Dietician” of Uzbekistan.
* Employed secretariat and opened an office for the association.
* Networking and communicating with Ministry of Health, local, regional, international organizations, and universities.
* Periodic reporting of activities to the Internal Audit Commission.
* Currently, we have reached 14 members and we are recruiting more.
* Established communication lines with similar organizations in the CIS and Europe.
Purpose and Objectives
* To promote the development of projects and programs aimed at solving problems in the field of gastroenterology and nutrition.
* Promotion of the achievements in the field of medicine gastroenterology and nutrition.
* The provision of scientific and methodological and practical assistance in the field of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition.
* To develop measures of health and social protection.
* Participate in the development of proposals for improving curricula and teaching programs in medical schools and institutes for advanced doctors in pediatric gastroenterology and child nutrition.
* The establishment and development of international relations in the field of pediatric gastroenterology and dietician.
* Realization of charities.
* Organization and conduct of sociocultural, sports, and recreation and other public events. Society members are physicians, researchers, and teachers of medical schools, doctors in private practice, the organizers of the health system—the leaders, and founders of medical organizations. The Society has 3 branches in Samarkand, Bukhara, and Djizak.
TRAINING AND EDUCATION
For years, members of the public association spent time at more than 50 seminars for practitioners in various regions of the Republic. Members of the Society carry out discussions among general practitioners in distant regions of Uzbekistan and acquaint them with the latest principles in the treatment of acute and persistent diarrhea, celiac disease, and Helicobacter pylori infection in children.
Guidelines were also developed on nutrition and drug therapy in children and adults in these regions.
In 2011, members of the Society won the Social Fund grant under the Parliament of Uzbekistan. The name of the project is “The Prevention of Adverse Effects of the Tajik Aluminum Plant on the Health of Children and Adolescents in the Border Regions of Uzbekistan.” The Society wrote and published about 500 brochures for the population in the border areas on “Fluoride Poisoning Prevention,” which described the highlights of fluoride intoxication prevention. For the general practitioners in the border areas of the Tajik aluminum plant, 5 seminars were organized and 200 guidelines were distributed describing the first symptoms of fluoride poisoning and management of fluorosis.
HEALTH SERVICES AND CONSULTANCY
Public Society conducts discussion clubs and open meetings, including international activity in the form of conferences, congresses, seminars, online forums, and organizing exhibitions, etc. At the seminars, along with reports on various issues of pediatric gastroenterology and nutrition, we discuss case reports of patients with rare diseases, atypical presentations of well-known diseases.
Every year in June, members of the Society organize a festival for children suffering from celiac disease. We cooperate with the Society of parents of the children suffering from celiac disease to give them advice on nutrition and gluten-free diets.