On behalf of the Steering Committee, Scientific Program Committee, and the Local Organizing Committee, we are proud to officially announce Gastro 2013 APDW/WCOG Shanghai, the next World Congress of Gastroenterology, 21–24 September 2013. This outstanding and dynamic program is being organized by 4 global partners—Asian Pacific Digestive Week Federation (APDWF), Chinese Societies of Digestive Diseases (CSDD), the World Endoscopy Organization (WEO), and the World Gastroenterology Organisation (WGO)—which is sure to bring an exciting array of educational views from around the globe.
Gastro 2013 APDW/WCOG Shanghai will take place in China, a first for the quadrennial World Congress of Gastroenterology. Shanghai and the Shanghai Expo Center will open its doors to the World Congress in 2013 and offer various opportunities to experience the culture and society of this venerable city. Shanghai has a variety of local highlights including the Bund, Temple of Jade Buddha, Yu Garden, Old City Bazaar, Shanghai Museum, Xintiandi, former Residence of Dr. Sun Yet Sen, Oriental TV Tower, Shanghai Nanjing Road, and Huangpu River Cruising. These local tourist destinations in parallel with the excitement surrounding the Congress will foster an environment of eagerness and delight.
All committees involved are working tirelessly to orchestrate a program that will facilitate the union of colleagues and peers worldwide while offering a broad array of opportunities for learning and discussion. A perfect balance of science and clinical practice will be maintained throughout the entire Congress with sessions covering Endoscopy, Hepatology, Gastroenterology, and Gastrointestinal-related disorders. We are expecting no less than 10,000 attendees to participate in the 2013 Congress. The high level of attendance will guarantee a truly global perspective, offer broader insights into the challenges we face in our professional lives day in and day out, and expand our capacity for the exchange of information and ideas.
The World Congress is a joint effort from many quarters, merging together to create an integrated program that will serve the interests of many. We are excited to bring together the highest quality scientific program that will take a global perspective while recognizing the special concerns in the Asia Pacific region. This opportunity is not one to be overlooked, and we encourage you to attend the Congress to further your own personal and professional objectives.
Highlights of the Congress include:
* A full-day Postgraduate Course on the front end of the Congress; this course will focus on regional issues in Gastroenterology and Hepatology
* Live demonstration endoscopy program and daily didactic endoscopic symposia
* Symposia on new and cutting-edge approach to the etiology, pathogenesis, and diagnosis and treatment of conditions presenting in Gastroenterology, Hepatology, Endoscopy, and Gastrointestinal-related diseases
* Special Plenary Sessions presenting Named Lectureships offered by the Organizing Partners for Gastro 2013
* Working Party Reports and Guidelines presentations
* Young Clinicians Program
* The WEO Learning Center which will offer opportunities to delve into the world of Endoscopy through interactive lectures, video teaching and hands-on training on simulators
* Free Paper and Poster presentations
* Industry-sponsored SymposiaMore details regarding the upcoming Congress are forthcoming and will be presented as this information becomes available on the Gastro 2013 APDW/WCOG Shanghai website http://www.gastro2013.org.We look forward to meeting with you, our esteemed colleagues, as we benefit together from the impressive science that will be shared with us from around the world. The Congress has never looked more promising, and we eagerly anticipate welcoming you to Gastro 2013 APDW/WCOG Shanghai next September!
Kwong-Ming Fock, MD Congress President and Chairman, Gastro 2013 Local Organizing Committee
Richard Kozarek, MD Co-Chairman, Gastro 2013 Steering Committee
Dai-ming Fan, MD Chairman, Gastro 2013 Local Organising Committee