1. The internal fixation used incorporates the contact-compression factor, while the iliac graft used incorporates the biological factors of osteogenesis and osteoclasis.
2. While functional quadriceps femoris power is a distinct advantage, it does not seem to be a necessity. Adequate ligamentous stability of the knee is a prerequisite.
3. The foot and ankle should be stabilized.
4. The pseudarthrosis rate for the entire group was 5 per cent (two cases). The rate of infection was also 5 per cent (two cases). Back pain was present in all the arthritic group following arthrodesis (28 per cent of the series, eleven cases).
5. The most certain method of producinsg arthrodesis is intra-articular fusion combined with bone-grafting and metal fixation.
Copyright 1956 by The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, Incorporated