(1) Early drainage of the medullary canal, of course, is an emergency measure.
(2) Too early radical operation is worse than useless, sacrifices bone unnecessarily, thus interfering with subsequent treatment.
(3) The classification of 'operable' and 'inoperable' chronic osteomyelitis is defined.
(4) Indications for radical operation are given. The term complete sculptural operation is defined. Complete and permanent eradication of the disease may be expected following a thorough sculptural operation.
(5) Incomplete sculptural operations are useless.
(6) The operation is the crux of the cure.
(C) 1927 All Rights Reserved.The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, Inc.