Skip Navigation LinksHome > December 15, 2001 - Volume 28 - Issue 5 > High-Dose Cytosine-Arabinoside and Cisplatin Regimens as Sal...
JAIDS Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes:
Articles: PDF Only

High-Dose Cytosine-Arabinoside and Cisplatin Regimens as Salvage Therapy for Refractory or Relapsed AIDS-Related Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma.

Bi, Jia; Espina, Byron M.; Tulpule, Anil; Boswell, William; Levine, Alexandra M.

Collapse Box


: No effective salvage regimen has been defined for patients with AIDS-related non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (AIDS-NHL) who do not respond to first-line chemotherapy that contains anthracycline. Combined dexamethasone, cytosine arabinoside, and cisplatin (DHAP) and etoposide, methylprednisolone, cytosine arabinoside, and cisplatin (ESHAP) have shown good response rates in HIV-negative patients with relapsed lymphomas. We retrospectively analyzed patients with refractory or relapsed AIDS-NHL who had been treated with either DHAP or ESHAP to evaluate the feasibility and efficacy of these regimens.

Twenty-six patients with refractory or relapsed AIDS-NHL were treated between 1990 and 1999 either with DHAP (n = 13) or with ESHAP (n = 13). Only 1 patient from each group (8%) had achieved complete remission with any previous therapy, and most had progressive disease after the regimen immediately preceding DHAP or ESHAP. In the ESHAP group, 4 patients (31 %) achieved complete remission (CR) and 3 patients (23%) attained partial remission (PR) for an overall response rate of 54%. The median survival was 7.1 months (range, 1-58.9+ months) from the time ESHAP was begun. Among the 3 patients with primary refractory lymphoma, there was 1 CR, 1 PR, and one patient with stable disease. In contrast, only 1 PR (7%) was observed with DHAP; the median survival was 3 months. Myelosuppression was the most significant toxicity with grade 4 neutropenia occurring in all who received ESHAP and in 54% of patients treated with DHAP. Neutropenic fever occurred in 8 (62%) ESHAP-treated and 6 (46%) DHAP-treated patients.

Although hematologic toxicity is profound, ESHAP appears to be an active salvage regimen for patients with relapsed or refractory AIDS-NHL.

(C) 2001 Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Inc.


Article Tools


Article Level Metrics

Search for Similar Articles
You may search for similar articles that contain these same keywords or you may modify the keyword list to augment your search.