Skip Navigation LinksHome > September 1995 - Volume 10 - Issue 1 > Treatment with Letrazuril of Refractory Cryptosporidial Diar...
Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes & Human Retrovirology:
Original Articles: PDF Only

Treatment with Letrazuril of Refractory Cryptosporidial Diarrhea Complicating AIDS.

Loeb, M.; Walach, C.; Phillips, J.; Fong, I.; Salit, I.; Rachlis, A.; Walmsley, S.

Collapse Box


Summary: Thirty-five AIDS patients (mean CD4 count 44 x 106/L) with chronic cryptosporidiosis were treated with letrazuril at an initial oral daily dose of 50 mg in an open-label Phase I prospective trial. Treatment was continued for >10 days and for as long as there was a response. The majority of subjects (91%), had previously failed paromomycin treatment. At baseline, 74% of patients had moderate (five to nine bowel movements per day) to severe (>10 bowel movements per day) diarrhea. Twenty-three subjects (66%) had a clinical response within a mean of 1.7 weeks of treatment initiation. Twenty-two patients had a partial response (>50% reduction in bowel movements per day for > 1 week), one patient had a complete response (two or fewer bowel movements per day). Of the responders, 15 (65%) had a clinical relapse with worsening diarrhea at an average of 1.2 months following initiation of letrazuril. The other eight (35%) have had symptom control for an average of 2.9 months from initiation of letrazuril to the latest follow-up. Microbiologic eradication was demonstrated in 10 (40%) of 25 patients with follow-up stool examinations. Seven patients (20%) experienced a rash, all within 1 week of starting the drug, and resolved in all patients when the drug was discontinued. In conclusion, severely immunocompromised AIDS patients with refractory cryptosporidiosis may show a modest, short-lived response to letrazuril. Microbiologic response is variable and relapse high. Rash is a major limiting side effect of the drug.

(C) Lippincott-Raven Publishers.


Article Tools


Article Level Metrics

Search for Similar Articles
You may search for similar articles that contain these same keywords or you may modify the keyword list to augment your search.