You could be reading the full-text of this article now if you...

If you have access to this article through your institution,
you can view this article in

The Case of the Picky Eater: Accidental Toothpick Ingestion Manifesting as Abdominal Wall Cellulitis

McIntosh, Lacey J. DO, MPH; Martone, Catharine MD; Rapose, Alwyn MD

Infectious Diseases in Clinical Practice:
doi: 10.1097/IPC.0b013e3182602038
Case Reports
Abstract

Abstract: Foreign body ingestion leading to visits to the emergency department is more frequent in the pediatric age group. Most ingested objects are passed out in the stools. However, ingestion of pointed objects could result in severe complications. Our case is a 93-year-old woman who presented with abdominal wall cellulitis and abscess confirmed on computed tomographic scan. Bedside drainage revealed an intact toothpick. Cultures grew intestinal organisms including Bacteroides fragilis, confirming the presence of an enterocutaneous fistula. Laparotomy for surgical excision of the fistula was deemed very high risk, and the patient opted for conservative management. One year later, she is in complete recovery.

Author Information

From the Saint Vincent Hospital, Reliant Medical Group, Worcester, MA.

Correspondence to: Alwyn Rapose, MD, Division of Infectious Diseases, Reliant Medical Group, Worcester, MA 01608. E-mail: alwyn.rapose@gmail.com.

The authors have no funding or conflicts of interest to disclose.

© 2013 Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Inc.