This recipe is reprinted with permission from American Heart Association The Go Red For Women Cookbook, Copyright © 2013 by the American Heart Association. Published by Clarkson Potter/Publishers, a division of Random House, Inc. Available from booksellers everywhere.
February is American Heart Month. Try some of these healthy and delicious recipes as alternatives for fast-food favorites to help take care of your heart.
Serves 6; 1 cup chicken mixture and ½ cup rice per serving
It takes just a few minutes to prepare your own delicious, healthful stir-fry. Our version combines juicy chicken with plenty of veggies.
1½ cups uncooked instant brown rice
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1⅓ cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
3 tablespoons dry sherry or fresh orange juice
2 tablespoons soy sauce (lowest sodium available)
1 tablespoon plain rice vinegar
2 teaspoons chili oil
1 tablespoon grated peeled gingerroot
3 medium garlic cloves, minced
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, all visible fat discarded, cut into 1-inch cubes
2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
1 cup diced red bell pepper
1 8-ounce can water chestnuts, drained
¾ cup sliced green onions
½ cup pecan halves, dry-roasted
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1. Prepare the rice using the package directions, omitting the salt and margarine. Set aside. Cover to keep warm.
2. Put the cornstarch in a medium bowl. Add the broth, sherry, soy sauce, and vinegar, whisking to dissolve. Set aside.
3. In a large skillet or wok, heat the chili oil over high heat, swirling to coat the bottom. Cook the gingerroot and garlic for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Reduce the heat to medium high. Stir in the chicken. Cook for 4 minutes, or until the chicken is lightly browned, stirring constantly. (The chicken won't be done at this point.) Transfer to a plate. Wipe the skillet with paper towels.
4. In the same skillet, still over medium-high heat, heat the sesame oil, swirling to coat the bottom. Cook the mushrooms, bell pepper, and water chestnuts for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently.
5. Whisk the broth mixture. Stir it into the mushroom mixture. Stir in the chicken. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the chicken is no longer pink in the center.
6. Stir the green onions, pecans, and red pepper flakes into the chicken mixture. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Serve over the rice.
Nutrients per Serving
Total Fat 12.0 g
Saturated Fat 1.5 g
Trans Fat 0.0 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 3.5 g
Monounsaturated Fat 5.5 g
Cholesterol 48 mg
Sodium 248 mg
Carbohydrates 30 g
Fiber 4 g
Sugars 4 g
Protein 21 g
1½ starch, 1 vegetable, 2½ lean meat, ½ fat