Rebecca S. Benner, Director and Managing Editor
In the May 2014 issue of Obstetrics & Gynecology
, the editors recognize the winners
of the 2013 Roy M. Pitkin Award and the 2013 Harold A. Kaminetzky Prize Paper award.
The Roy M. Pitkin Award was established in 1998 to honor departments of obstetrics and gynecology that promote and demonstrate excellence in research. The award consists of a $5,000 unrestricted grant presented to each department whose faculty, fellows, or residents published one of the most outstanding articles in Obstetrics & Gynecology during the past year.
The Harold A. Kaminetzky Prize Paper award was established in 2008 to recognize the best article from a non-U.S. researcher each year. The recipient of the award receives $2,000.
At the end of each year, each of the three editors independently evaluates articles that have been published from January through December. The purpose of this review is to develop a short list of candidate articles, which is then passed along to a panel of four former Editorial Board members. The members of this four-person committee read the articles and rank them based on several criteria, including scientific merit, importance to the specialty, study design, methodology, presentation of results, soundness of conclusions, and writing style. The top-ranked articles (four for the Pitkin Award and one for the Kaminetzky Prize Paper) receive an award.
On Sunday, April 27, we will be recognizing the recipients of the 2013 Annual Awards at the 62nd Annual Clinical Meeting of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists in Chicago, IL.
Roy M. Pitkin Award
- Figueroa D, Jauk VC, Szychowski JM, Garner R, Biggio JR, Andrews WW, Hauth J, Tita ATN. Surgical staples compared with subcuticular suture for skin closure after cesarean delivery: a randomized controlled trial. Obstet Gynecol 2013;121:33–8. From the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Alabama at Birmingham (William W. Andrews, PhD, MD, Chair).
- Carbone JF, Tuuli MG, Fogertey PJ, Roehl KA, Macones GA. Combination of Foley bulb and vaginal misoprostol compared with vaginal misoprostol alone for cervical ripening and labor induction: a randomized controlled trial. Obstet Gynecol 2013;121:247–52. From the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine (George A. Macones, MD, MSCE, Chair).
- Oshiro BT, Kowalewski L, Sappenfield W, Alter CC, Bettegowda VR, Russell R, Curran J, Reeves L, Kacica M, Andino N, Mason-Marti P, Crouse D, Knight S, Littlejohn K, Malatok S, Dudley DJ, Berns SD. A multistate quality improvement program to decrease elective deliveries before 39 weeks of gestation. Obstet Gynecol 2013;121:1025–31. From the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Loma Linda University School of Medicine (Melissa Y. Kidder, MD, Interim Chair).
- ElNaggar AC, Santoso JT. Risk factors for anal intraepithelial neoplasia in women with genital dysplasia. Obstet Gynecol 2013;122:218–23. From the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Tennessee Health Science Center (Giancarlo Mari, MD, Chair).
Harold A. Kaminetzky Prize Paper
- Shekhar S, Sharma C, Thakur S, Verma S. Oral nifedipine or intravenous labetalol for hypertensive emergency in pregnancy: a randomized controlled trial. Obstet Gynecol 2013;122:1057–63. From the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Dr. Rajendra Prasad Government Medical College, Tanda, Kangra, HP, India (Suresh Verma, MBBS, MD, Chair).
Congratulations to all!
And, if you have excellent research that you’d like to contribute to the journal, please do so using our Editorial Manager web site.