New CE requirements for renewal of certification
I just recently submitted my application for renewal of my certification as an Adult Health CNS and saw that there are some changes that are coming in response to the APRN Consensus Model and its full implementation. Due to the change in the educational requirement that all APRNs are prepared for prescriptive authority there will be a new requirement for continuing education in pharmacology.
Effective January 1, 2014 you will need to have pharmacotherapeutic continuing education hours in order to renew your certification....are you prepared?
"Effective January 1, 2014:
- 25 of the 75 required contact hours must be in pharmacotherapeutics. If doubling the contact hour requirement to 150, 50 of the 150 contact hours must be in pharmacotherapeutics.
- These 25 (or 50) pharmacotherapeutic hours do not need to be formally ANCC accredited/approved, provided the certified nurse meets the requirements for Category 1 contact hours. (That requirement is: at least 51% of the total number of contact hours must be in your certification role and specialty and at least 50% must be formally ANCC accredited/approved.) See certification renewal application form for more details.
- If an educational program includes pharmacy content, please refer to equivalency table below to determine the number of pharmacotherapeutic hours that could be counted towards re-certification.
1 contact hour = 60 minutes 1 contact hour = 0.1 CEU
1 CEU = 10 contact hours 1 academic semester credit = 15 contact hours
1 academic quarter credit = 12.5 contact hours
1 CME = 60 minutes or 1 contact hour
- The educational presentation or conference agenda may be submitted as evidence to validate the contact hour calculation. A narrative note describing pharmacology content within agenda may also be necessary to validate content. Keep for your records and submit only if audited.
- The same hours submitted to renew certification may be submitted to a State Board of Nursing for re-licensure.
- Pharmacotherapeutic content does not need to be presented by a nurse for the hours to be eligible for certification renewal, however the presenter must have content expertise in pharmacology."
Be knowledgable and be prepared if you are due to renew in 2014...do not get caught up in the complacency of thinking everything will be fine and all will renew in a timely manner just because you are doing what you have always done. Maintaining your certification is so much more important now that the changes are being implemented in the APRN Concensus Model. Do not rest on your laurels and then subsequently lose what you value so highly and that can be the difference between being a CNS and not...