Technology Informatics Guiding Education Reform (TIGER) is working to help the United States realize its 10-year goal of electronic health records for all its citizens. TIGER, which started as a grassroots initiative, now involves more than 100 professional nursing organizations, vendors, and governmental entities and thousands of volunteers.
The TIGER Initiative is pleased to announce the creation of a new Web site, www.thetigerinitiative.org to advance the TIGER mission: Preparing nurses and health professionals to use technology and informatics to improve patient care.
The new Web site was established to communicate the current activities of TIGER and to identify a permanent location for all of the TIGER Resources and Reports developed since its inception. There are five specific goals for the new Web site. These goals include being able to clearly communicate that TIGER is an ongoing activity, while differentiating the link between phases I, II, and III activities. We also have highlighted the current Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) opportunities for engagement with TIGER at all levels (organizational, strategic, and individual) and have published the collaborative reports that were developed during phase II. The driving force for this new Web site is to enable all TIGERs with access to the public resources to move the TIGER agenda forward at the grassroots and organizational levels.
WEB SITE GOALS
1. Clearly communicate that TIGER is a current activity.
2. Differentiate between the multiple phases of TIGER.
3. Provide an overview of the VLE.
4. Publish all of the resources that were developed during phase II.
5. Enable TIGER efforts with available resources to move the TIGER agenda forward.
Through the launch of this Web site, these goals have been met, and TIGER leadership will continue to improve upon communication strategies for TIGER resources. The new Web site provides information on the following topic areas (including many tools that were developed by TIGER participants):
* alignment of ANCC Forces of Magnitude and TIGER Collaboratives
* American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009
* consumer empowerment/PHRs
* education and faculty development
* human factors
* integrating informatics into the curriculum
* leveraging health information exchange to improve quality and efficiency
* Magnet© Informatics and Technology case studies
* meaningful use, certification criteria and standards, and HHS certification process
* national health IT agenda
* National League for Nursing position statement on education reform
* nurse executive IT educational needs
* nursing leadership
* Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology
* organizing framework for CIS-clinical knowledge as critical factor
* partnerships to teach nurses how to use electronic health records
* staff development and continuing education
* standards and interoperability
* the future of nursing: leading change, advancing health
* usability and clinical application design
* virtual learning
Additionally, current VLE opportunities are highlighted. A new TIGER Sightings area has also been added to provide easy access to the many TIGER resources.
Through this new media opportunity and several other partnerships, TIGER is now moving forward to advance its mission: Preparing nurses and health professionals to use technology and informatics to improve patient care.
For more information please, visit the new TIGER Web site today: www.thetigerinitiative.org.
Update! We are pleased to announce that the TIGER Initiative is pursuing legal status as a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit corporation. The TIGER Initiative Foundation will operate for charitable, educational, and scientific purposes to advance the objectives of the grassroots initiative and its many committed volunteers and collaborators. Leaders from the TIGER Executive Committee, HIMSS (Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society) and collaborative partners are pleased to assist with the process for making this endeavor a reality.