* Read the article on page 320.
* Take the test, recording your answers in the test answers section (Section B) of the CE enrollment form. Each question has only one correct answer.
* Complete registration information (Section A) and course evaluation (Section C).
* Mail completed test with registration fee to: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, CE Group, 333 7th Avenue, 19th Floor, New York, NY 10001.
* Within 4-6 weeks after your CE enrollment form is received, you will be notified of your test results.
* If you pass, you will receive a certificate of earned contact hours and answer key. If you fail, you have the option of taking the test again at no additional cost.
* A passing score for this test is 13 correct answers.
* Need CE STAT? Visit www.nursingcenter.com for immediate results, other CE activities, and your personalized CE planner tool.
* No Internet access? Call 1-800-787-8985, for other rush service options.
* Questions? Contact Lippincott Williams & Wilkins: 1-800-787-8985.
Registration Deadline: December 31, 2010
LWW, publisher of CIN: Computers, Informatics, Nursing, will award 2.5 contact hours for this continuing nursing education activity.
LWW is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.
LWW is also an approved provider of continuing nursing education by the American Association of Critical-Care Nurses #00012278 (CERP Category B), District of Columbia, Florida #FBN2454, and Iowa #75. LWW home study activities are classified for Texas nursing continuing education requirements as Type 1. This activity is also provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider Number CEP 11749 for 2.5 contact hours. Your certificate is valid in all states.
Payment and Discounts:
* The registration fee for this test is $24.95.
* If you take two or more tests in any nursing journal published by LWW and send in your CE enrollment forms together, you may deduct $0.95 from the price of each test.
* We offer special discounts for as few as six tests and institutional bulk discounts for multiple tests. Call 1-800-787-8985, for more information.
CE TEST QUESTIONS
GENERAL PURPOSE: To provide registered professional nurses with an understanding of the current literature pertaining to nursing competence in the use of informatics.
LEARNING OBJECTIVES: After reading these articles and taking this test, the nurse should be able to:
1. Outline the current state of informatics use by nurses in healthcare organizations.
2. Review the findings from current research and nonresearch literature on the use of nursing informatics.
1. Which of the following is not one of the informatics sciences?
a. communication science
b. information science
c. nursing science
d. computer science
2. Most studies on nursing competence in information technology have been limited to
a. computerized documentation issues.
b. academic settings.
c. nurses with more than or equal to 5 years of experience.
d. Western countries.
3. Most of the nursing population in the US
a. did not receive informatics training in school.
b. is using computerized medication administration records.
c. does not see the benefit of electronic health records (EHRs).
d. is younger than 40 years.
4. Why are more and more hospitals opting to use EHRs?
a. The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services require EHRs for tracking prescription drugs.
b. Third-party payers require interoperable health records.
c. A US executive order calls for the nationwide adoption of EHRs by 2014.
d. The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act calls for a paperless record by 2020.
5. What is one factor that affects information science competence in the workplace?
a. Informatics competence is focused more on clinical nurses than on nursing students.
b. The last 5 years has seen a dramatic influx of new nurses into the clinical workforce.
c. More than half of hospitals employ agency or traveling nurses.
d. Most nurses recognize the importance of evidence-based practice.
6. In the last 20 years, what topic has been researched the most in nursing informatics?
a. nurses' use of computerized systems outside of the workplace
b. informatics training in secondary schools in the US
c. nurses' use of the Internet for work-related research
d. nurses' attitudes about information technology
7. In the study by Pravikoff and colleagues (2005), what percentage of clinical nurses had not evaluated a research report in the previous year?
8. In the hospital studied by Moody et al (2004), what impaired the use of EHRs?
a. poor nursing attitudes
b. negative view of online resources
c. poor documentation skills
d. lack of computers at the bedside
9. According to the study by Dee et al (2005), what did participants believe was the fastest method for data acquisition?
b. human resources
10. In the study by Dee and colleagues (2005), what did nurses identify as a barrier to using informatics?
a. insufficient time
b. experience with home computers
c. inadequate software to meet clinical needs
d. lack of reimbursement for training programs
11. What does the American Library Association recommend as the basis for student curriculum development?
a. access to up-to-date healthcare texts
b. information literacy
c. access to a medical library
d. subscription to basic and specialty nursing journals
12. What did Simpson (2001) conclude would allow for the best growth of automated practice in the healthcare community?
a. access to computers at patient bedsides
b. participation in research-related activities by clinical nurses
c. user-friendly software facilitating integration of informatics in the clinical environment
d. collaboration between schools, healthcare organizations, and HIS vendors
13. According to Koerner (2003), what is the core competency essential to providing care?
a. communication skills
b. knowledge of pathophysiology and related pharmacology
c. life-long learning
d. computer technology
14. Staggers' (2002) study revealed a lack of
a. tools for measuring informatics competence.
b. administrative desire to use EHRs.
c. positive nursing attitudes.
d. use of informatics despite training.
15. Tanner and Pierce's (2000) studies revealed that approximately what percentage of nurses who had Internet access used it?
16. Results from the study by Pravikoff et al (2005) revealed that 59% of respondents had
a. not evaluated research reports.
b. rarely or never sought a librarian's assistance.
c. not identified a researchable problem within the previous year.
d. not used the hospital library (if one existed).
17. What was the most frequently cited barrier to the use of research in practice?
a. minimal research directed at clinical nursing practice
b. perceived lack of value of research
c. not enough preceptors to assist with the use of databases
d. workforce resistant to using technology
18. Which of the following is a challenge to future informatics progress?
a. inadequate use of transient nurses
b. overcrowded nursing schools
c. unskilled nursing instructors
d. shortage of nurses
© 2008 Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Inc.