Institutional members access full text with Ovid®

Share this article on:

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning From Disposable Charcoal Barbeques

Lyness, James R. MB, BCh, BAO; Crane, Jack MB, BCh, FRCPath, DMJ(Clin et Path), FFPathRCPI, FFFLM

The American Journal of Forensic Medicine and Pathology: September 2011 - Volume 32 - Issue 3 - p 251-254
doi: 10.1097/PAF.0b013e3181d03ce7
Case Reports

Carbon monoxide poisoning is a common cause of accidental death and suicide. This article reports 4 cases of carbon monoxide poisoning following the inhalation of fumes from disposable charcoal barbeques in a confined space. All of the cases occurred within a 2-year period in Northern Ireland.

From the State Pathologist's Department, Institute of Forensic Medicine, The Queen's University of Belfast, Northern Ireland.

Manuscript received April 3, 2009; accepted April 11, 2009.

No funding was received for this work.

The authors report no conflicts of interest.

Reprints: James R. Lyness, MB, BCh, BAO, State Pathologist's Department, Institute of Forensic Medicine, Grosvenor Rd, Belfast, BT12 6BS, Northern Ireland. E-mail: james.lyness@statepathni.org.uk.

© 2011 by Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.