You could be reading the full-text of this article now if you...

If you have access to this article through your institution,
you can view this article in

Arcing Injuries in a Fatal Electrocution

Nagesh, K R. MD*; Kanchan, Tanuj DFM, MD†; Rastogi, Prateek MD, PGDMLE†; Arun, M MD, DNB‡

American Journal of Forensic Medicine & Pathology:
doi: 10.1097/PAF.0b013e3181875ad9
Case Report
Abstract

Electric arc injuries tend to be very severe and can cause skin burns by direct heat exposure or by igniting clothes. It produces intense heat, and fatal lesions can occur even when the victim is several feet from the arc. A fatal case of accidental high-voltage electrocution is reported, where multiple skin to bone-deep oval and circular lesions of varying dimensions caused by arcing was present.

Author Information

From the *Department of Forensic Medicine, Father Muller Medical College, Mangalore, Karnataka, India; the †Department of Forensic Medicine, Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore, Karnataka, India; and ‡the Department of Forensic Medicine, J.S.S. Medical College, Mysore, Karnataka, India.

Manuscript received May 8, 2007; accepted September 14, 2007.

Reprints: K.R. Nagesh, MD, Department of Forensic Medicine, Father Muller Medical College, Mangalore 575001, Karnataka, India. E-mail: drnag2002@rediffmail.com.

© 2009 Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Inc.