Two cases are reported representing opposite ends of the spectrum of death as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning from car exhaust fumes. In one case, a woman was reported to be found dead in bed early in the morning by her husband. The cause of her death, established by autopsy, was carbon monoxide poisoning. Toxicology examination indicated a car engine as the source of carbon monoxide. The mode of administration was never established. In the second case, a woman was found in a car located in her garage with a hose leading from the exhaust pipe to the interior of the sealed vehicle. Autopsy revealed negligible carboxyhemoglobin saturation of the blood, bilateral infarction of the globus pallidus, and extensive bronchopneumonia. It was concluded that inhalation of carbon monoxide resulted in sublethal hypoxia with subsequent exhalation of carbon monoxide and a delayed death.