This article presents two deaths due to acute carbon monoxide poisoning that occurred when charcoal-burning hibachis were used as heating sources in enclosed camping facilities. In both deaths, the levels of blood carbon monoxide saturation were at or slightly below the expected lethal level. Coronary arteriosclerosis may have contributed to one death, while oxygen depletion may have been a contributing factor in the other. These cases illustrate the danger of using such heating sources in enclosed spaces, due to their carbon monoxidegenerating capability. We suggest that suitable warnings be placed on the hibachis themselves
(C) Lippincott-Raven Publishers.