Cutaneous spindle-cell B-cell lymphoma needs to be distinguished from other cutaneous malignant spindle-cell tumors, including spindle-cell carcinoma, spindle-cell melanoma, atypical fibroxanthoma, soft tissue sarcoma, and sarcomatoid leukemia.1,15
Spindle-cell shape variant of primary cutaneous follicle center cell lymphoma is extremely rare, and the data on the prognosis are sparse. The majority of reported cases lack sufficient follow-up studies, but most cases seemed to show a rather indolent behavior. Only 3 cases reported by Cerroni et al1 and Rozati et al13 showed aggressive prognosis. Our case exhibited a clinically indolent behavior as no other organ was involved during 4 years of follow-up.
In summary, by reason of there being only a few reported cases of the spindle-cell variant and within those only a few having documented course of the disease, there is the need to further investigate the possible more aggressive nature of this variant.
1. Cerroni L, El-Shabrawi-Caelen L, Fink-Puches R, et al.. Cutaneous spindle-cell B-cell lymphoma: a morphologic variant of cutaneous large B-cell lymphoma. Am J Dermatopathol. 2000;22:299.
2. Nozawa Y, Wang J, Weiss LM, et al.. Diffuse large B-cell lymphoma with spindle cell features. Histopathology. 2001;38:177–179.
3. Goodlad JR. Spindle-cell B-cell lymphoma presenting in the skin. Br J Dermatol. 2001;145:313–317.
4. Wang J, Sun NC, Nozawa Y, et al.. Histological and immunohistochemical characterization of extranodal diffuse large-cell lymphomas with prominent spindle cell features. Histopathology. 2001;39:476–481.
5. Ferrara G, Bevilacqua M, Argenziano G. Cutaneous spindle B-cell lymphoma: a reappraisal. Am J Dermatopathol. 2002;24:526–527.
6. Cerroni L. Author reply to cutaneous spindle B-cell lymphoma: a reappraisal. Am J Dermatopathol. 2002;24:527–528.
7. Carbone A, Gloghini A, Libra M, et al.. A spindle cell variant of diffuse large B-cell lymphoma possesses genotypic and phenotypic markers characteristic of a germinal center B-cell origin. Mod Pathol. 2006;19:299–306.
8. Yun SJ, Lee KH, Yang DW, et al.. Primary cutaneous spindle cell B-cell lymphoma with multiple figurate erythema-like manifestation. J Cutan Pathol. 2009;36:49–52.
9. Kahlifa M, Buckstein R, Perez-Ordonez B. Sarcomatoid variant of B-cell lymphoma of the uterine cervix. Int J Gynecol Pathol. 2003;22:289–293.
10. Hayashi H, Ohtani H, Ueda T, et al.. Primary hepatic lymphoma with spindle cell components: a case report. Virchows Arch. 2006;449:591–596.
11. Wang L, Lv Y, Wang X, et al.. Giant primary cutaneous spindle cell B-cell lymphoma of follicle center cell origin. Am J Dermatopathol. 2010;32:628–632.
12. Willemze R, Jaffe ES, Burg G, et al.. WHO-EORTC classification for cutaneous lymphomas. Blood. 2005;105:3768.
13. Rozati S, Kerl K, Kempf W, et al.. Spindle-cell variant of primary cutaneous follicle center lymphoma spreading to the hepatobiliary tree, mimicking Klatskin tumor. J Cutan Pathol. 2013;40:56–60.
14. Ries S, Barr R, LeBoit P, et al.. Cutaneous sarcomatoid B-cell lymphoma. Am J Dermatopathol. 2007;29:96–98.
15. Fernandez-Flores A. Diagnosis of cutaneous sarcomatoid B-cell lymphoma: some words of caution. Am J Dermatopathol. 2009;31:510–512.