I am not aware of any cases in previous published reports on pseudolymphomatous folliculitis2-11 with the degree of folliculotropism and the presence of epidermotropism as seen in this case. I did not perform any molecular genetic analysis to investigate whether monoclonality could be discerned, firstly because the clinical, histological, and immunohistochemical findings were typical of PLF and secondly, based on the follow-up data presented by Kazakov et al, the finding of monoclonality does not seem to convey any relevant prognostic or predictive information in PLF and does not change the treatment. However, as suggested by Kazakov et al, it should be noted that PLF may be perceived as a pattern of skin adnexal transformation that may occur, albeit infrequently, in bona fide skin lymphomas. The patient is recently diagnosed and is followed closely.
1. Kibbi AG, Scrimenti RJ, Koenig RR, et al. A solitary nodule of the left cheek. Pseudolymphomatous folliculitis. Arch Dermatol
. 1988;124:1272-1273, 1276.
2. Arai E, Okubo H, Tsuchida T, et al. Pseudolymphomatous folliculitis: a clinicopathologic study of 15 cases of cutaneous pseudolymphoma with follicular invasion. Am J Surg Pathol
3. Arai E, Shimizu M, Hirose T. A review of 55 cases of cutaneous lymphoid hyperplasia: reassessment of the histopathologic findings leading to reclassification of 4 lesions as cutaneous marginal zone lymphoma and 19 as pseudolymphomatous folliculitis. Hum Pathol
4. Kazakov DV, Belousova IE, Kacerovska D, et al. Hyperplasia of hair follicles and other adnexal structures in cutaneous lymphoproliferative disorders: a study of 53 cases, including so-called pseudolymphomatous folliculitis and overt lymphomas. Am J Surg Pathol
5. Bulai-Livideanu C, Michel C, Fricker A, et al. [Pseudolymphomatous facial folliculitis in a child: hypochromic appearance]. Ann Dermatol Venereol
6. Kwon EJ, Kristjansson AK, Meyerson HJ, et al. A case of recurrent pseudolymphomatous folliculitis: a mimic of cutaneous lymphoma. J Am Acad Dermatol
7. Lee HW, Ahn SJ, Lee MW, et al. A case of pseudolymphomatous folliculitis. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol
8. Lee MW, Lee DK, Choi JH, et al. Clinicopathologic study of cutaneous pseudolymphomas. J Dermatol
9. Nakamura M, Kabashima K, Tokura Y. Pseudolymphomatous folliculitis presenting with multiple nodules. Eur J Dermatol
10. Dargent JL, Debois J, Sass U, et al. Unusual T cell pseudolymphoma with features of so-called pseudolymphomatous folliculitis. Dermatology
11. Verret JL, Croue A, Delorme N. [Pseudolymphomatous folliculitis]. Ann Dermatol Venereol