To present registered professional nurses with a review of the current literature addressing the cognitive effects of cancer and cancer treatment.
After reading this article and taking the test (answer coupon on page 97), you will be able to:
* discuss the phenomenon of cognitive changes in cancer survivors, with emphasis on cognitive domains, relevant research studies, drug therapy, and counseling.
Cognitive Changes in Cancer Survivors
21. Problem solving is an example of which domain of cognition?
a. executive function
b. verbal memory
d. visuospatial skill
22. A study that examined changes in cognitive function at three time points in men who had prostate cancer demonstrated an improvement over time in which cognitive area?
b. information processing speed
c. visuospatial skill
d. verbal memory
23. A randomized trial of an intervention to improve cognitive function in adults with cancer demonstrated an improvement in attention with which intervention?
a. targeted molecular therapy
b. intensive skills training
c. compensatory strategies
d. a concentration exercise
24. Which drug has helped improve learning and has also lessened fatigue in patients who have cancer?
a. erythropoietin (Eprex)
b. anastrozole (Arimidex)
c. methylphenidate (Ritalin)
d. raloxifene (Evista)
25. According to the author, it is helpful to explain to patients who have experienced some cognitive decrements while undergoing cancer treatment that
a. they must be prepared for the possibility that their cognitive function will continue to decline.
b. cognitive function usually improves for most people within a few months after treatment ends.
c. many people who experience these types of changes are not undergoing cancer treatment.
d. cognitive decrement is subjective, so it is best to be tested to confirm the perceived decline.